Homeschooling family from Missouri

wellsclan7

Chirping
May 6, 2021
Hey there everyone! We're a family of 6 living in Cass County Missouri, about an hour south of Kansas City. We moved from the city to a little yellow house on 5.5 acres last fall and have aspirations of homesteading and being more self-sufficient as well as helping others by growing as much food as possible and sharing our bounty. So far we have 29 ducklings, they're only about a week old! Khaki Campbells for eggs and Silver Appleyards for meat and eggs. Our youngest is 2 and she is allergic to dairy and chicken eggs. Eventually the goal is a big garden, orchard, meat goats, turkeys, and quail. I don't know if you can do that on 5 acres but we're going to try! :D

We're older parents, in our 40's and 50's, and our four kiddos are ages 2 up to 12 (G, G, B, G) and my stepson is 24. We've been homeschooling since our oldest was 6 and plan on continuing on through high school graduation. I'm originally from the Monterey Peninsula in California and my husband is a small town Kansas boy who ended up in San Diego in the Navy. We moved to the KC Metro area in 2014 and LOVE IT here. I'm excited to glean much information from the wise souls who have gone before me, and hopefully I won't feel like such a city newb one day!!! :love

:welcome Welcome to the country life too! My son (our one and only) is 6 going on 7 yrs old and he's going to be homeschooled starting in August. We wanted him to finish his last few weeks he has left in 1st grade at school. We live in the country (10 yrs now) on 6 acres and you would think the schools would be better out here, but they're NOT. Last 2 years have been miserable. So homeschooling here we come! We're older folks as well I'm in my mid 40's and my hubby is slowly approaching 50. We're both from Houston, TX (city folks lol) but we always felt we didn't fit that lifestyle although my husband's job works with big city companies (works from home). Best move ever! I just got chickens in March (wanted them for MANY years) but I've been gardening for at least 23+ years!

Tips: Grow many types of fruit trees (based on your zone), grow elderberry (American type), grow organically (if possible), grow native plants and lot's of herbs (for YOU and your farm animals), get honey bees and mason bees houses (don't forget our native friends), plant flowers within your veggie garden, companion plant your garden each year (extra effort but well worth it), plant flowers, herbs and plants for your ducks/chickens to enjoy---that is my many tips that I will leave you with.

1616944157163.png

Back
Top Bottom