Homeschooling with 3 new chicks <3

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rlmp817, Mar 26, 2018.

1. Rlmp817

Rlmp817 Songster

Mar 24, 2018
    Atascadero, CA
    Hi!
    I am so excited that we got chicks! I am homeschooling my 3.5 year old (he is working on Kindergarten work already!) And we decided that adding chicks to our home would be an excellent educational tool (raising animals, feeding, caring, etc, as well as additional projects like building a coop as a family, are all good real-life applications that he can learn from this experience!)
    We got 3 beautiful chicks from our local farm supply store, and they are happily contained in a box in the garage with a heat lamp and some cozy bedding.

I am sure this will be an immensely valuable resource for us!

Robin

2. Lovechickens!

Lovechickens! Songster

Dec 7, 2017
    welcome to BYC! we are glad you have joined the family!
    :welcome
    here you will find useful information and some crazy ideas!
    enjoy

GOD BLESS ALL AND TAKE CARE!!!!!!!

3. tootmany

tootmany Songster

Mar 14, 2018
    SD
    Hey! Welcome! I think raising chickens is a wonderful idea for teaching. Planning on teaching my own kid(s) homesteading skills when I settle down :)

4. 007Sean

007Sean Pheasant Whisperer

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    Howdy Robin :welcome:frow Happy:ya to have you join the family. Enjoy your time here at BYC! :)

5. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi Robin! What a lovely experience it will be for your little boy! We’re all chicken mad here and there’s loads of friendly, knowledgeable members who will be pleased to help you on your chicken journey!

drumstick diva, 007Sean and N F C like this.
  6. N F C

N F C is it nap time yet?

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    :welcome

Hi Robin, thanks for joining us. Raising poultry is a great hobby for everyone in the family, I hope all of you enjoy it!

drumstick diva and 007Sean like this.
  7. Smuvers Farm

Smuvers Farm Melvin Up the Taterhole

Feb 16, 2017
    TN/Western KY Border
    :welcome:celebrate

Glad you're here ! I home school my 8 (almost) 9 year old kiddo, and working with the chickens has been very valuable to his education.

A must have for your poultry is a FIRST AID KIT for any issues that would arise. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/suggestions-for-a-first-aid-kit.1150128/)
    It's definitely better to have it and not need it rather than need it and not have it.

Also, make sure your coop(s) have a proper amount of VENTILATION. (https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...-there-and-cut-more-holes-in-your-coop.47774/) Your chickens will absolutely thank you for it!

One last thing, if you're into gardening, feel free to join this years SEED SWAP (https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/seed-swap.1220129/)

drumstick diva, N F C and 007Sean like this.
  8. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams

G'Day from down under Robin :frow Welcome and Congratulations! :clap

I hope you enjoy being a BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out.

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

You may be interested in these links:

007Sean and drumstick diva like this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    It's great when the whole family gets involved. :frow

007Sean and N F C like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: