Homesick American - hope to be in MI next year.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by clatsopduck, Aug 13, 2011.

1. clatsopduck

clatsopduck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    at my computer
    Hi there.
    I found this while looking for information about keeping chickens in the UP (Keweenaw) where I plan to move - hopefully in 2012! (Keep your thoughts/prayers with us as it's not as straight forward as simply buying tickets...)

Anyway, I grew up raising poultry in Oregon. The past 5 years, I've been raising chickens and ducks here in England. Mixed breeds, primarily, but a couple of muscovies and a couple of runners too. As I'm getting ready to move in the spring (and not wanting to feed the birds through the winter just to have to sell them in the spring), I'm in the process of rehoming my flock - which is already leaving a big hole in our lives. So, now I'm dreaming of what I'll be doing when we move!
    I have been a life member of the APA for the past 20 years nearly, but not a very good one - as I've been stuck in the UK for almost 15 of those years! :-(
    Should be back soon. I'm hoping to train to be a judge and am thinking of trying to develop a new breed too. But that's another story... lol. (And perhaps just an excuse to have a motley crew of fowl!)

I wasn't planning on signing up, but sorta got sucked in as I browsed!
    Would love to meet new friends in the UP and Wisconsin too. (Lived in Madison back in 92-95.)

Oh, I'm a single (home-schooling) mother of six kids (15, 13, 11, 9, 5 and 6 months). I like to study Norwegian and French and am trying to finish a novel, lol. Doing too much most of the time!

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

clatsopduck

Welcome to the forum. You DO have a lot going on---but it sounds like you are 'planning your work, and working your plan'. Sad that you will be without poultry for awhile.....but they wouldn't do well crossing the Atlantic. I'm sure that the UP will be a beautiful place to resettle in the USA--and you will have the happiness of being home.

Good luck with it all.

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas! [​IMG] Wow! You have a full life going! Best of luck with the move, your kids, your studies, and your birds! [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC. It's very nice meeting you. I wish you well in moving back to the US.

5. clatsopduck

clatsopduck Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    at my computer
    Thanks, all...
    No, chickens wouldn't do too well crossing the ocean - not to mention the month in quarantine... That is reserved for one very special Indian Ringneck parakeet that owns us, but it's not going to be cheap!

Yes, just rehomed my buff orpington pair yesterday, another pair (including a marans rooster) and my two muscovy ducks. The backyard is so quiet! But the neighbours might be happier, lol. The rest of the flock is reserved for another friend of mine who will take them before the winter.

Thanks again, and nice to meet everyone!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC and good luck.

7. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Glad to meet you, welcome from Big Bear Ca. [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    [​IMG]

from a Michiganiac!

Not an "official" Yooper, (but I'm in the same US congress district as da UP). I was going to warn you that the Keweenaw is cloudy and wet, but being in England you're probably used to that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by