1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homesteading

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by havi, May 3, 2009.

1. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Just wanted everyones opinion on this..

What do you consider homesteading? What in your terms defines a homestead? Are you a homesteader? If so, how?

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    Homestead:
    n.

1. A house, especially a farmhouse, with adjoining buildings and land.
    2. Law. Property designated by a householder as the householder's home and protected by law from forced sale to meet debts.
    3. Land claimed by a settler or squatter, especially under the Homestead Act.
    4. The place where one's home is.

v., -stead·ed, -stead·ing, -steads.

v.intr.

To settle and farm land, especially under the Homestead Act.
    v.tr.

To claim and settle (land) as a homestead.
    homesteader home'stead'er n.

Here in Alabama we file a form each year to maintain our homestead exemption. It reduces our real estate taxes.

HTH

Rusty​

3. havi

havi [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Si

Mar 23, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Quote:Here in Alabama we file a form each year to maintain our homestead exemption. It reduces our real estate taxes.

HTH

Rusty

Well yes, we also file under the homestead act. Basically everyone in the state does. They actually encourage you to at the tax office. But what I meant was more of, personally what does it mean to you. How do you farm on your land and make the most of it.

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    I homestead. I grow my own food, raise my meat and eggs, and live close to the land.

A homestead can mean different things, but to me it means that you can live on your own with minimal assistance.

I strive for the time when I have to do for myself, with little to no help. We can rely on neighbors, to an extent, but doing it on your own is a home-stead.

Cheri

5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    I get homestead exemption each year as well. I live on the edge of town and always kind of wondered why I would qualify?
    I do have a garden and try to make the most of the land I have.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by