1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Homesteading

Discussion in 'DIY / Self Sufficiency' started by REDNECK TRAPPER, Feb 17, 2014.

1. REDNECK TRAPPER

REDNECK TRAPPER Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2014
    I plan on building a log cabin with no electricity or water. Do any of y'all live with no electricity or water

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I used to live with on again and off again water..... I usually had electric though.

So I hauled water. The town I live close to has free water for hauling at the grocery store.

Most of my heat, then and now is wood.

3. nayeli

nayeli Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2014
    No way! You want to live that way? I would do solar energy and a well with a composting toilet.

4. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    There is also a way to use rain water.

5. REDNECK TRAPPER

Feb 16, 2014
    I want to live that way because I don't want to have to pay for electricity or water and be fully self sufficient.

1 person likes this.
  6. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    Like I said, get solar energy and your own well and composting toilet.

7. Alaskan

I am more of a fan of a good old fashioned outhouse. Much less expensive and they can't break down.

Ditto with a wood stove verses some kind of solar powered heater and cooker.

Back when I considered being completely off grid, I really thought that the easiest (fewest parts that would break as well most reliable and the lowest start-up cost) was water power.

Also, work really hard on a proper house plan.... Something that doesn't loose heat or get too hot.

I liked being able to haul drinking water, and use creek water and rain water for everything else. Of course, if you boil it first you can drink whatever water.

All these people spending oodles of money to live off grid, that are set up like the Taj Mahal, I find a bit odd.

8. REDNECK TRAPPER

Feb 16, 2014
    Not going to spend any money on anything. Got a creek and 2 ponds.

9. nayeli

Jan 18, 2014
    You want to make sure your sewage doesn't leach and get in the ponds or creek though!

10. Alaskan

Sounds perfect....

really can't beat that.

Does the creek run year round?

And I am sure you can stock at least one of those ponds with fish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by