Homework Help anybody?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Morgan7782, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I am writing a research paper/argumentative paper for my english class and I needed some help... If anybody can help that is! I am doing this paper on Factory Farms vs Micro Farming (small time farms/farmers markets/local produce ect).

I will be interviewing a few people on the small scale farming side (mostly because the info for factory farms is so available! But there is very little solid sources regarding the small scale farmers, so I put an ad on Craigslist and will be interviewing a few folks who have their own dairy cattle, beef cattle, chickens and/OR crops for personal use or sale.)

I need some help coming up with interview questions.... I would like to talk about the factory farm competetion, the struggles and achievments, the animals and/or crops.

I am on the side of micro farming. In my perfect world everybody would support local producers of crops/food and farmers markets would be the new "safeway". If anybody could help me come up with any good interview questions please do respond!!

Also, if you are a microfarmer yourself for family use or sale, and would like to be involved I would absolutely cite every interview and source I come across. Basically I want to open the eyes of people that there is another way, even for those who do not want to raise animals or grow crops themselves.

Here is the START of my paper, will be 7-10 pages. No critique needed, just giving you an idea of what I am doing:

"Do You Know Where That Food Has Been?

When you go to the grocery store and are looking at eggs, milk, butter, even fine meats, you usually view a happy farm scene. Whether it is a flock of chickens scratching around a large oak tree, or cattle grazing on forever green pastures, the images are all the same. Happy animals, and rural farms. The picture on the product is one of mankind’s more warped ideas of how things really are. It is a selling point really, a silent guarantee that this particular animal did scratch around a green field for most of its life. Well, unless you are shopping at a local farmers market or cattle auction, chances are the “fine meats” of grocery stores are raised and kept in less then humane settings. Before I go on to share the horrors of this chopping block for you, I would like to say that I love meat. Beef, chicken, pork, lamb, I love it all. I am not against using animal products, in fact I have a small flock of laying hens myself. What I am against is the idea behind Factory Farming and how dependent we have become on it. I believe the US should take a step back in time and support our local, and struggling, farmers and ranchers. How better to support the American Dream then to support the local producers?

Factory Farming is not biased on the type of animal. There are farms that handle beef cattle, veal calves, egg laying hens, broiler chickens, pigs, lambs and bison. The list goes on and on. The start of this epidemic began in the 1920’s with the discovery that supplementing Vitamins A and D would “replace” the work the sun and fresh air offers. Farmers learned that adding these supplements would allow the animal to grow well enough inside, therefore shutting out sunlight and outside air and experience to all factory farm animals. 20 years later, in the early 1940’s, antibiotics took the stage. Farmers realized that they could use massive doses of antibiotics to control illness from spreading and still keep the animals in awfully close quarters."

Last edited: Dec 3, 2010
  2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    What is the name of that guy - gads I hate my brain that does the lessons on micro farming?? Joel something??

Look him up. You won't be able to interview him but he would be a good source.

Also check with your local Ag extension. They usually have massive amounts of data for and about small scale sufficient farming. Many are actively trying to encourage it at the extension level even while the fed level is dickering over it and how to control it......

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Joel Salatin?

4. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    That is a good idea about contacting my local Ag department, I will do that. Thanks for the tips [​IMG]

Anybody have any good interview questions? I am having trouble coming up with straightforward questions [​IMG]

I found Joel's website! Polyface Inc. That is exactly the information and type of source I am looking for thanks!

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    How much land do you have?
    How many/what kind of animals do you have?
    How much do you produce?
    Do you sell your produce or is it only for family?
    Do you barter your goods?
    Why do you farm?
    What do you get out of farming?
    Do you think the economy is encouraging small scale farming or not?
    Is the government encouraging small scale farming or not?
    What people/groups or agencies have supported you?

I could ask dozens more but if I were to talk to a dozen small scale farmers that is what I would want to know.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Those are wonderful ideas! Thank you! I will try to think of a few more, and will be interviewing one or two people along with using research databases for reliable sources regarding antibiotic use, care, ect in farm animals. The factory farm side is really publicized, but luckily I have found a few small scale farmers to talk to so I can get their side and story as well.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Will you also interview people who operate larger operations or CAFOs?

If you're going to cite "the horrors" of a larger operation you need to see it first hand don't you....not just use what you can find on the internet which most of the time is put up by a very slanted viewpoint group. I think if you're going to interview one side you need to personally interview both sides of the argument.

Just for the record I don't know any farmer with livestock that uses "massive doses " of antibiotics whether they're a small scale farmer or a CAFO. It serves no purpose.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Katy Katy Katy... I was wondering when you were going to show up [​IMG] [​IMG]

I actually have tried to contact a few farm operations managers at both Foster Farms (who advertise as antibiotic and horomone free), and Tyson with no response. I actually didn't expect a call back. Many large scale farms are under such scrutiny with animal care conditions why should they talk to some snotty college kid? Who had already and clearly chosen a position against industerial farm conditions. Not surprised one bit.

If you are able to contact anybody please let me know your secret! Luckily, research databases at Sac State have reliable factual sources and information (statistics) regarding industerial farming. [​IMG]

Oh, and I have visited a large dairy and various stockyards around Sacramento. The conditions of the dairy I visited were... Less then appealing. Dead calves in pens, cows being moved with tractors. I think I have enough "factory farm" information to sink a ship, now I am focused on small time farmers.

Speaking of which, Katy.. I've noticed you seem to be a small scale farmer. Want to answer some questions for me? LOL!!! Just thought I would ask [​IMG]

Regarding antibiotics... According to a report filed by the Institute of Medicine: 40 to 80 percent of the antibiotics applied on the farm are unnecessary.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Morgan, Morgan Morgan.....I'm always here. [​IMG]

Then how can you do an unbiased argument when you only talk to one side? Maybe you need to get your"facts" for both sides of the argument from internet research. Seems like that's only fair to both.

I honestly don't blame the bigger operations for not wanting to talk because no matter what they say or do it seems they can't win.

10. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Once again, the information I am finding on the web is NOT .org .com ect.

The information is actual statistics and research done by scholars at colleges around the country. That works just fine for the factory farm side. If they don't want to cooperate, that ain't my problem. I am doing an argumentative research paper where there is a good/bad side. Right/wrong. For arguements you need people who disagree.

Oh and my paper is totally biased. Very little is to be said of the opposition. Instructors rules [​IMG] I am supposed to be convincing my professor that my idea's and point of view is best. I just don't want to talk to PETA style folks because I do not share those viewpoints. My chickens lay eggs, my cow is beef for the family ect but I am focused on the care of the animals and the humanity involved.

And yes.. I am one of those weird people who believe humane and slaughter can coexist in the same sentence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by