1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homicidal Drakes! PLEASE HELP!*UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ticks, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I cannot go into the coop without being harassed and bitten by two of the drakes. I have two too many, but these are just mean nasty awful birds. I was chased across the yard by one and was running for my life. I cannot go into the coop anymore without a stick to hold them back. What should I do?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    sounds like two for supper?

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    are there any eggs they are trying to protect? one of my drakes gets a little mad when there are eggs around. he puffs up and comes at me hissing, but never gets too close. he has never bitten me. i take a step towards him and he goes the other way as fast as he can. i would say catch them and hold them. postion yourself over them and hold them until they stop struggling. this shows them that you are ranked higher than they are. my protective drake had gotten hurt and we had to hold him down to get him apart from the other ducks. i think that might be part of why he has never gotten too close. he tries to just scare me off but i don't scare easily! haha. he almost got my cat today though. the thing ran like the wing as soon as he started huffing and puffing!

4. Even if you have to stop whatever you are doing, do not let them get away with that behavior. [​IMG]
    You need to establish dominance with them or they will think you are below them on the pecking order. [​IMG]
    Kick them back, not like a football, but make contact enough so they have to back off. [​IMG]
    Grab them and pick them up and carry them around for a while. You can hold onto their bills, just so you don't cover up their nostrils.
    You can put them in a seperate pen so they can't get to you. [​IMG]
    Separate them so you can deal with them one at a time.
    Or get rid of them. [​IMG]
    What kind of ducks are they?

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    No eggs, I get them every morning, they even bite the feather off the chickens. The chickens give them some good pecks on the face and they stop.
    THis is how violent they are, if I put my foot near the cage they attack it. They just follow me everywhere and sometimes hiss.
    [​IMG]

6. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:they're mean little boogers! make sure you don't let them get away with that. if they even make an aggresive movement towards you, chase them away, hit them. (not too hard). you can't be afraid of them, they can sense that. you have to remember, they might bite you, but if you correct it and sacrifice yourself for a few bites, the biting will stop. i used to be afraid of falling off my horse until i was bucked off and hit a wall. still got a scar and almost broke my ankle, but i realized yeah it hurts and yeah its scary, but you can't let that stop you. i was in tears from the pain but i got right back on and showed that horse he couldn't do that. pain is only temporary my friend.

7. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    get them MORE girls, or rehome, it sounds like they are stressed by more dominate birds, and since they cannot boss the other birds around, they are taking it out on you

8. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    I hit them sometimes on impulse (non-damaging), shriek and shut the coop doors. [​IMG]
    I gotta cowboy up, duck bites don't hurt.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  9. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    look like rouen ducks. i have had some (until a fox got them all!) and they have neevr been that way with me. did you raise them from babies? maybe you need more females to.

10. TheDuckCrew

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    i would also say get some more girls. my drakes fight so bad we have to keep them seperated. the "brothers" get along fine and keep each other company. the other drake gets the girl! haha. that will change once we get more though. we're working on it!

even though they don't hurt, its instinct to protect yourself from harm. you see something coming at you trying to hurt you, you're going to be scared and either try to run or fight. instinct never fails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by