Homing/free ranging adult pigeons?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Goldlaced_Girl, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Goldlaced_Girl

Goldlaced_Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    I may be getting some pigeons in the next couple of months (Yay!) and the aviary is still under construction. Its going to be lovely and big, with tons of perches and little feeding stations/etc. What's everyone's take on free ranging adult birds that were not raised on the premises? How long should I leave them in the aviary before opening the doors? I'm not worried about hawks so much around our farmyard, we have an excellent falcon-dog that keeps them at bay. Should I let them out the first time near evening so they are more likely to return home faster?
    Thanks in advance!

2. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    It would be at least 2 weeks. I'd feel more comfortable if they started to nest. If they are homers, never.

3. Goldlaced_Girl

Goldlaced_Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    New Hampshire
    Thank you! The aviary is plenty big enough for them to fly about a bit, so 2 weeks or so shouldn't be a problem. I will make sure not to get homers- I actually have my eye on a foursome of beautiful spotted rock pigeons. They have been raised as pets/meat.

4. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    Mine have flown away in the past, although some have stay, and most come back........ do you have pictures?

5. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    best way let them nest, after young are about two weeks old , only let one of the mates out, reason 2 weeks on the young if one mate doesn't return ,the other will feed the babies. With young they will want to home better.

6. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    I would only let the young out at 28 days of age. Always keep your breeders prisoners.Flying is the best part of keeping pigeons.I have flown them for 58 years.

7. Keep the birds up for a month or so. When they seem at home and comfortable in the loft, let a few, not all, out in the late afternoon. They will want to come back home and join the others to roost after they enjoy circling the loft for a while. And yes, homers will come back unless they are adults that have been raced and homed at another location. I have bought adult and after time in the loft, home right back to my loft, not fly off, especially after they have raised babies in your loft. This will be their home now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by