Homing training

Kandypeeps05

Songster
Jan 30, 2022
Is there a way to properly teach homing pigeons how to fly around for exercise and quickly get away from predators? I’d love to be able to let my birds fly but I’d just hate to lose any valuable ones. Would I need to buy the best racing genetics or the most environmentally intelligent homers or what?

Is there a way to properly teach homing pigeons how to fly around for exercise and quickly get away from predators? I’d love to be able to let my birds fly but I’d just hate to lose any valuable ones. Would I need to buy the best racing genetics or the most environmentally intelligent homers or what?
I don‘t have any experience with pigeons, but I wanted to wish you good luck!

The short answer is no. The only thing you can do is make sure they are really hungry when you let them out so they want to come home. Only let a few out at a time. Get them use to the sound of shaking the feed cup each time you feed them and then when they are out shake that cup of feed when you want to call them in. You will always take the chance of losing birds. Even the most expensive birds get lost, attacked or take off for no reason. It is a process that if you want to do it you have to just reconcile with yourself that you will lose some and all you can do is rebuild the flock. The best ones will come back. I know it is heartbreaking but you have to let the minor league ones get lost in order to keep the top fliers in shape and train regularly. If there are some you couldn't bear to lose just keep those in a separate prisoner pen, never fly them and enjoy them as pets.

Back
Top Bottom