1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Homless Homer's adventures.... help?.... thank you!

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by Morri, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    So the tale of the homless homer began when i nearly ran him over on the highway... so ofcourse i pulled over and comando rolled across the road and slid under a truck (slight exaggeration).

Anyway *serious face* he couldnt fly and was being closely watched by a nearby cat. So i took him home and checked him over, seemed to have a droopy wing and extremely inflamed eye he couldnt open. So i bathed the eye with teabags and salt three times a day and after two days it was back to normal, then i took him to the vet and was told he's no use to a homing breeder/reader is he couldnt mate nor fly so there was either keep him or destroy him, seeing he had muscle damage and wouldnt fly again (he also said he wouldnt be in any pain).

Ofcourse me being me he is now another pet here. I pulled apart a unused guinea pig avairy and bought him a wooden house off ebay.

Pablo's Palace as we names it [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So too the point, heres a close up (you can notice the slightly drooped wing)

[​IMG]

So my question:

a) i wouldnt actually have a clue on sex, can you tell what gender he is?

b) also i know they are flock animals and love company so should i get him/her a pigeon mate? or seeing he will never fly would a quail be more appropriate idea... or is that a horrible idea...?

c) as i dont really want babies can they have same sex companions?

New to all this, thanks for any helpful info [​IMG]

2. larrylofts

larrylofts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    LOTT TX
    First A Hen Could Mate And Raise Young. With A Male You Would Have To Test Mate And See If He Could Mate And Fertile Eggs. Yes There Is Same Sex Pairs . No Quail Would Get Pigeon. Pigeons Are Hard To Sex Really Need A Bird To Tell It Reaction

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    If you want to get him a companion, he'll need another pigeon. A hen preferably, so they won't fight. All you have to do is replace the eggs with fake eggs, chicken eggs, quail eggs, etc. if you don't want more pigeons [​IMG] I see no reason why he couldn't mate, unless he has neuro problems or had his repro system injured. I have a flightless hen with one droppy wing like yours, who does just fine breeding. I have a cockbird who can fly, but only has one eye (the other was injured as a baby, so it stayed tiny and blind), and also successfully breeds. And then there is my Roadster, who is flightless due to being hit by a car. He had neuro damage and acts kind of loopy sometimes, but otherwise is normal (well, other than one wing hanging on by a thread). He courts his mate (the flightless hen is now his wife) and all that good stuff, but has yet to produce a fertile egg. I'm not sure if he's actually finishing up the mating by officially doing the deed, or if he's sterile from the injury.

4. Morri

Morri what's quackalackin?

Jan 8, 2010
    Australia
    Thank you very much [​IMG] So ill go find him/her another pigeon to have as a mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by