Honest, I am only going to buy one.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tomhusker, May 14, 2011.

1. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    I went to a local farmers market today, wanting to add a chick in with our new poults to help them learn how to drink from a water nipple.
    "Just one though," the wife says to me. "We have enough chicks for now."
    In my defense, she didn't really specify what "enough" meant. I heard her words in my mind as I told the guy, "I'll take 4..." And he slipped 4 Silver Spangled Hamburgs into my transport box.

SOOOooooo anyway, I get home with them and try to sneak them into the brooder unnoticed. Apparently they kinda stand out. She noticed them fairly quickly. To make matters worse, the poults were standing at the waterer taking turns. I didn't NEED the chicks.

I have found that it is WAY easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Though she probably won't let me go to the swaps or farmers market alone for a while.

2. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Hmmm, this sounds familiar. [​IMG]

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Hahahaha.... I did the exact same thing. I brought 3 more chicks home without telling hubby. That was after he said no more chicks! I did tell him the next day. The kids were anxious for him to know. Luckily for me, he wasn't mad.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I bought more than I expected, but I hatched some and I think they're all roosters. That darn chicken math![​IMG]

5. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Quote:No problem!! There are plent of board members here that would be happy to go to a farmer's market with you. [​IMG]

6. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:No problem!! There are plent of board members here that would be happy to go to a farmer's market with you. [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    [​IMG]

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Point out that the only problem is that you need another waterer. The problem isn't too many chicks.

In fact, offer to go back to the store yourself and get another water. Swear you won't get more chicks. Doesn't count if you cross your fingers behind your back.

9. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    HHMMM, wonder if any of these will work on my dear SO. Think he'll notice any new chicks when I go to just get a couple of things from one of the feed stores? I'm not allowed to go to TSC by myself now....but now he didn't say anything about any of the feed stores.....[​IMG]
    I mean, if they end up in my cart what am I supposed to do???? (I really need a smiley with a halo....)

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  10. grandmas Nest

grandmas Nest Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Newcastle, Wy
    I had just had my 25 babies out in the coop for about 2 weeks when we went in a runnings store and I ended up coming out with 5 white leghorns. My other babies are 9 weeks old now and these are 1 1/2 weeks old so will have to keep them seperate for another 3 or 4 weeks and then a cage in the coop for another week and slowly let them together in the evenings. Husband will probley never let me go in a feed store again [​IMG] in the spring but I now have brown, blue, green and white egg layers.[​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by