1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Honest opinions needed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 4H kids and mom, Jun 22, 2007.

1. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    I'm working on a fairly simple, but detailed enough, lable for our meat chickens that we will be selling. The packing plant will slide the finished lables in before they are wrapped up so it will look nice and professional. Here's what I've come up with so far. (I blurred my address and phone number out for security reasons.) Opinions? Be HONEST please!

[​IMG]

2. MayberrySaint

MayberrySaint Chillin' Out

Mar 7, 2007
    Mount Airy, NC
    Quote:Looks good...just some grammar and spelling issues.

Wether should be whether

humanely raised should be humanely-raised

hormones, or should be hormones or (remove comma)

quality Organic feeds should be quality organic feeds

better tasting, and lower fat should be better tasting, lower fat

3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Ah! Wouldn't have even noticed those! Thank you!

4. 4myHennyPenny

4myHennyPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Colorado
    Looks great! Very well done.

In addition to what Mayberry Saint mentioned, you might consider capitalizing the "r" in Humanely-Raised in your header. Also consider deleting the period at the end of that line (it's not necessary).

Be sure to post the final product so we can admire it!

5. ChloesChicky

ChloesChicky Out Of The Brooder

I think it looks great also! Maybe add "antibiotic free" if you can??? I think that's people look for now???

Pat yourself on the back! Great job!!! [​IMG]

6. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Looks great! One thing though, hormones are not used in poultry production.

Currently, federal regulations allow these hormones to be used on growing cattle and sheep, but not on poultry (chickens, turkeys, ducks) or hogs (pigs).

From http://envirocancer.cornell.edu/Factsheet/Diet/fs37.hormones.cfm

Some people think that all commercially raised animals – cattle, hogs, sheep, and poultry – are fed hormones as growth promoters. In fact, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) does not permit the use of hormones in raising hogs or chickens, turkeys and other fowl. That is why the USDA does not allow the use of the term "no hormones added" on labels of pork or poultry products unless it is followed by a statement explaining that "Federal regulations prohibit the use of hormones."

From http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/id/QAA400066

The
    fact that you are certified organic as well as humane will go a long way to selling your product.
    Good luck!​

7. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    My input, as a true representative of your target demographic (as well as a graphic designer/ad designer):

Even if poultry doesn't use antibiotics, as Terrie Lacey said, I'd put it on there anyway. Not everyone knows that, but your target market DOES know that they don't want antibiotics in their meats.

Also, if your birds really are certified ORGANIC, I would put that PROMINENTLY at the top. In my state, the grocery stores all sell their version of "all natural" meat & chicken. It is no-hormone, no-antibiotic, no chemical, no additive, etc. But it is NOT ORGANIC, not is it FREE RANGE or CAGE-FREE. You can buy those, but they are harder to find and a lot costlier. When I see organic and free-range/cage-free, I'm always willing to pay a little more for it. So, if you can legitimately make those claims, I would make them pretty prominent. Maybe at the top it should say, "Humanely-Raised Organic Cage-Free Chicken"...?

Otherwise, I like it. It has a nice family-style feel to it that is appealing. Check how the printer outputs it that you plan to use... you might need to clean up the "Happy CHicken" logo a little for clarity if its a fairly low-definition printer. Just add a little space between the lettering maybe.

My 2 cents...
    Stacey

8. Queen of the Lilliputians

Queen of the Lilliputians Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2007
    Maine
    Ok, I love the label! Being a detailed person, I would take the time to read it all, flip the bird over, and look for more!

My only constructive criticism would be maybe make the picture and the top bit (the part just above the blur [​IMG] ) larger, more eye catching. kwim? For busy moms, little kids in tow, they are going to read the top bit and check out the rest AFTER they get it home. Catch them in the first 5 secs and you're golden.

What a terrific idea! And I agree, these days even though it's not true I think most people believe there are hormones in the chix they buy in the store. It is worth it to include that on the label.

-Meghan

9. jaseg

jaseg Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2007
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Hi 4H kids and Mom

Being a graphic designer also, my opinion is I think it is clean and clear. A few typos that were already mentioned is no big deal, We proof read everything ten times before it goes to print. The B/W was a good choice, it will save you printing costs.

Good Job, and good idea posting it here for feedback!

Jason

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I like the label! And I think everybody's input on content and format was very valuable. I'd love to see other people's labels. I'm thinking of making a cute label for the boxes of eggs I'll be giving to neighbors next year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by