HONESTLY How common are deformities and problems?**PICS ADDED**

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by denasfarm, Aug 20, 2008.

1. denasfarm

denasfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Sweet Home Alabama!!
    How often in a hatch do you expect something wrong?

In my hatch of 10 last week we had one die in shell and one spastic that died later
    (See video on other thread).So 8 of 10 are normal. :|

The hatch before that I had 10 hatch and one had a crooked leg. [​IMG]

This mornings hatch of 7 (5 hatched so far) 4 normal and one has its eyes on sideways. :eek:

Normal eyes go beak to ear, this goes chin to head. Very odd looking but it blinks so I will let it be. (I will get pics when it dries a bit more)

So its not all the same disability but every hatch seems to have SOMETHING messed up.

Well even the RIRs I got last week from Ideal 2 of the 15 I ordered have serverely screwed up legs.

I feel like I am running a home for special needs poultry! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2008
  2. fullhouse

fullhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    MI
    I think it's pretty common. In nature mama would just abandon or kill off the weak. We nurture it [​IMG]

3. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Odd, I've never had problems from Ideal. All my ducklings hatched via Mama Duck have never had deformities. Maybe your roo is donating poor genes. I'm sure not all your hens produce faulty chicks. No offense.
    I've never hatched chickens myself though so maybe its is common.

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    My last hatch 3 out of 4 hatched out of the 3 that hatched one chick had a stumped foot. The other 2 were healthy as they could be no problems at all. It just happens we just have to sit back and watch nature takes it coures!

5. Chicken_Lover4567

Chicken_Lover4567 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Central Texas
    Ideal? Well the only problem I've ever had from them is I had an itty bitty Barred rock who nearly died, and one with the same symtoms died. I think when hatching your own eggs, deformities are quite common. You never really know if there was something wrong to begin with, or if your bator' messed up or if something about the bator' was wrong. It all depends,.

6. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    It shouldn't be that common, I would say we have hatched 1000+ chickens, turkeys, guineas, ducks this year and only had maybe at most 10 with issues. The factors are the parent stock and the incubator temp and humidity. weak, old, inbred parent stock would be a big factor I would think. This may sound cold but any hatchlings with issues get put down right away plus we cull our parent stock hard and only keep the best of the best. I'm sure that is why we don't have problems.

Steve in NC

7. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    I never had any problems yet with deformities i got my 3rd and 4th hatch coming up so i'm hoping that all go's well..

I know most people say that deformities most likely comes from X-ray but i think it has to be something else as well because my uncle hatch his own eggs out last month to add new birds to his flock and he had one chick come out with a crocked neck and leg so other than X-ray it has to be something else [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Well, deformities/problems when hatching chicks can be multi fold. Could be genetics, could be how the egg was treated prior to incubation, and could be incubation itself. Bad genetics would cause problems, extended heat/cold/time/shaking can cause problems, and fluxuationg bator temps can cause half your hatch to have bad legs. Toss a bit of each into the mix and you'll end up with lots of bad hatches. Some lines of birds are better than others too. That said, I've had good and bad hatches with and without problems. Once the kinks are worked out on the breeder and bator end though, it's really not that often.

9. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:Very well put.. i agree [​IMG]

10. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    Quote:couldnt have said it better all these things can and will contribute to deformities.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by