Honestly- loose air cell??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Aug 13, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I want to know how many people have actually had a chick develop in a loose air cell. I have had 0. I just got a batch of eggs and 5 out of the 20 have loose air cells, kinda funny how that worked cuz I was only supposed to get 15 [​IMG] . So the extras had me break even. Bator space is very valuable right now and I don't want to bother putting these 5 eggs in if there is 0% chance they will develop. I would think the trauma that caused the loose cell would have damaged the egg enough to not develop. I am not talking about saddle cells, I am talking about the air cell just goes top to bottom, or whichever way you hold the egg.

So has anyone had a complete loose cell ever develop?

Thanks!

2. NewChickenMom

NewChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    i've never had any develp, ever. if the bubble isn't attached at all, throw it out. if it is fixed but moves around a little from the top fixed point, leave it in. i've had at least a dozen of these eggs hatch.

3. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    i agree i would take them out before they are rotten

4. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    in quail eggs i have had them hatch but nothing else

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

It sounds like the air cell has burst, not loosened. If the air sac has burst, then the chick wouldnt have anything to break into to takes its first breath and would drown in the shell. But since the air sac is popped, most likely the yolk is also scrambled, so It wont develop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by