1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

honey bees eating agway layer pellets

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Fisher hen, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Fisher hen

Fisher hen New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    Has anyone experienced honey bees going after layer pellets. Seems they are taking the smaller pieces back to the hive. Not a good end for bees in feeder, they are coated with pellet dust and die. I welcome any suggestions as how to separate bees from pellets. I have moved the feeder 30 feet away to no avail. They target the pellets where ever I put the feeder.
    Thank you,

2. N F C

N F C Home in WY Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I haven't had that happen so I'm not sure how to stop it but you might have luck asking members that are beekeepers:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/310974/a-bee-thread-for-those-interested-in-beekeeping/1890

Also, I know a member that has both chickens and bees, if you send her a Private Message (PM), she may be able to help you out. You'll find the PM link in your upper right corner by your member name. Click on the PM link and a message box will open. Type in her name, 3goodeggs, enter a subject then type your question in the message box and hit Submit.

Good luck!

3. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]NorthFLChick gave you some great info.

4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

5. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    [​IMG] I hope you find a way to keep the bees away from the pellets!

6. Fisher hen

Fisher hen New Egg

Nov 21, 2015
    Thanks,
    For now feeding scratch until I find a solution. Less dust and not so attractive to the bees.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I recall someone else writing in for information on getting the bees to buzz off. Sorry I can't remember what transpired. I wouldn't think bees could get nourishment from pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by