Honey Bees

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jc194, Sep 20, 2010.

1. jc194

jc194 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 1, 2008
    Anyone raise honey bees, I was thinking of starting one hive in Pa.

2. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Same here,but Im waiting til early spring next year.reading all about em.

3. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    A friend of mine raises honeybees in the heart of Philly...I would love to raise them. I need to read a lot more before I dive into it.

4. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I would love to have honey bees too, but my allergy would mean probable death if I was stung..... [​IMG]

5. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Bee math is like chicken math ~ one leads to many!

I'm in York County and currently have 7 hives and will be adding more in the spring.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  6. Ozgoose

Ozgoose New Egg

Sep 21, 2010
    I have one hive in the yard. Two more on the way in the next month and I have managed to get the mother-in-law one too. The bees are great and my garden has never looked better. Then again it is spring for me now. I have heard of hives in many urban areas all around the world. I am just lucky that here in Oz we do not need to worry about too many diseases. The more people that get bee hives the better for food production all around the world. EVERYONE who even has a small space should have them.

7. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

Quote:Beekeepers in PA should consider joining The Pennsylvania Backyard Beekeepers Association . It is a newly established Non-profit Association and a great group of Backyard Beekeepers with programs directed toward Backyard Beekeeping. If you are interested in joining contact me for more details. You don't need to be a PA resident to join!

8. NoelTate

NoelTate Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2008
    Mobile, AL
    I have often thought I'd love to have a beehive because I enjoy watching the bees, they would be good for the garden, and they are so important to our environment and food supply. Unfortunately, I don't want to do to the work to get the honey out! lol If I could just leave the hive and it be ok with me never emptying the honey, I would not mind having one around.

9. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Beekeepers in PA should consider joining The Pennsylvania Backyard Beekeepers Association . It is a newly established Non-profit Association and a great group of Backyard Beekeepers with programs directed toward Backyard Beekeeping. If you are interested in joining contact me for more details. You don't need to be a PA resident to join!

I will share this with my friend if he hasn't already joined! Thanks.

10. noahsgeese

noahsgeese Border Collie

Nov 30, 2009
    Virginia
    Honey bees are the best!!! You should really get some!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by