1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Honey Bees

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Dean W, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Dean W

Dean W Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    I've been having swarm of bees going around the feed that I give the chickens. They are even attracted to the Hen Scratch especially the corn. Any suggestions? The larger birds eat them if they can, but the younger ones seem like they are afraid. I suppose for good reason. Hopefully, they are not the Africanized Killer Bees I've heard of.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'd call a local beekeeper to see if he wants them.

3. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Good idea because I don't want to harm them just reduce the swarm. I mean I've seen a few before, but there were 100's of them.

4. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    why not catch the swarm and make honey. check on youtube how to catch swarm. simple with a biodegradeable plant pot and some lemon grass oil.

bees will make your garden unbelievable and also give you some honey. your birds will east some for free protein.

5. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    Well maybe I exaggerated when I said hundreds. Here they are with chick starter.

6. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    We talked about catching them and making a bee hive. There must be one close by in the woods. They'll be great for the garden come spring.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  7. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I am a hobbiest bee keeper. I have 3 bee hives very close to my chicken coop. I have never seen any bees near their food. This looks very unusual to me. Is there sugar in the chick starter? The only thing they would be after is sugar or water. I would call the local extension office or somehow get a hold of someone at a local beekeeping club. There may be a hive if bees in a tree nearby.

8. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    I didn't look at the ingredients on the bag, but there may be some trace amount of sugars. Okay, I'll look into the local extension office.

9. tmfineg

tmfineg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Gallatin TN
    I just read another post saying they were after the protein. Maybe you can put some decoy food out. This other post said they eat the dust from the feed. Maybe a pile of dust outside the coop as a decoy. You still may have a hive really close by that a beekeeper may want.

10. Dean W

Jan 8, 2013
    Central Texas
    I put some sugar in some water. Once the food has been exposed awhile to the air they're no longer interested. Perhaps it is the proteins, I don't know that much about them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by