Honey Causes Airport Evacuation.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Boyd, Jan 7, 2010.

1. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    and why did the agents have to go to the hospital???

3. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:because as soon as they opened his bag they both became nauseated.

Next on Morey... Honey as a WMD [​IMG]

4. deb1

deb1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    NC
    The preliminary tests using the swabs indicated the presence of the explosives TNT and triacetone triperoxide, known as TATP, Whorf said.

Why did the man's bag test positive for explosives?

It sounds as if the airport was not evacuated because of the honey but because of the positive test for hazardous material.

5. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:That's what prompted them to search the bag. Lots of substances can trigger those prelim swabs though.

6. dichotomymom

dichotomymom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Dayton Indiana
    Imagine if it had been molasses instead. They might have had him at gunpoint.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I agree with Deb1. It was the positive reaction to the test that caused the evacuation, not the honey as a liquid. The honey should not have been allowed as a carry-on, but the real question is why the positive test. Let's see. A positive test. A liquid/gel type substance in quantity. How would you want them to react?

I find nothing wrong with the agent's reactions after a positive test. I prefer them to err on the side of safety as opposed to reading about another tragedy.

8. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I am just wondering why the agents got nauseated by honey???

9. Boyd

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Quote:Couple of things.. it wasn't carry on it was luggage to be loaded in belly of plane.... second thing.. they became nauseated after opening the bag and had to be rushed to the hospital... that was the funny part IMO. I'm all for them being careful, but the article said the passenger declared the honey in his luggage. Just a gross over reaction.

10. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Quote:Couple of things.. it wasn't carry on it was luggage to be loaded in belly of plane.... second thing.. they became nauseated after opening the bag and had to be rushed to the hospital... that was the funny part IMO. I'm all for them being careful, but the article said the passenger declared the honey in his luggage. Just a gross over reaction.

Ok. A positive reaction. A liquid/gel type substance. The passenger said it was honey. Ignoring the nausea, how should they have reacted?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by