Honey? Did the chickens just moo?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Ravishaw, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    We are enjoying a few days with frosty mornings here in Queen Creek, AZ. This morning as I was enjoying the last few minutes of slumber, listening to my marked-for-death rooster crow, I was reminded of how things can go awry. As soon as the rooster stopped crowing, I heard a bellowing mooooOOOOOOO!

I had to process that... usually I hear a moo from somewhere down the street, but this sounded like one of my hens had let her bovine instincts get the better of her and had moo'd in response to the crow. Then my rooster crowed again and another bellowing mooooOOOOOO followed! This was too much. I had to see which hen was mooing. I opened the blinds to look out the window, and there laying contentedly on the frosty grass were my neighbors two cows. The heifer looked like she had just let the last moo rip.

I looked again with my glasses on and there were two RIRs perched on the cows sides. There were other chickens huddled around them too. The cows didn't seem to mind very much, they just.. moo'd.

Then I looked for my rooster. He was nowhere to be found. Turns out he went and hid under the lattice we have leaning against the wall... the gutsy fellow.

My neighbors cows had pushed the fence down during the night and had wandered into my yard and dozed off by the chicken coop. Maybe it was a little belated new years mischief, but my hens sure enjoyed a nice warm perch for a while.

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    HAHA! Great story [​IMG]

3. Downshifting

Downshifting Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    That is the funniest thing I've read today...thanks for the chuckle!

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    That's the kind of thing that makes my day, thanks for the good laugh!

5. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    [​IMG] [​IMG] That's hilarious!

6. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    LOL That's a good one! Did you get any pics of it?!

7. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Thats so funny did you get a pic?

8. Ravishaw

Ravishaw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    no, no pictures. The sun wasn't up yet and it was still pretty dark. We have a few oleanders and they're poisonous to cattle so I hurried over to my neighbors house and let them know the cows had had a good time and were ready to come home now.

9. dnenella

dnenella Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2010
    [​IMG] I really needed the laugh great storie

10. Oboistonquack

Oboistonquack Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2010
    Maine
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] HILARIOUS!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by