Honeybees

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Airplaneguy57, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Dont know is I would consider them pest but I have a bunch of honeybees all over the pellets. Is this something I should be worried about? I do know I would love to find the nest. Yummy honey.

2. Pet Duck Boy

Pet Duck Boy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I've seen them do that before, mostly when there's little flowers and nectar to go around. They shouldn't stick around for very long, at least until a suitable food source appears. (Flowers) IMO, you should leave the nest alone. Honey bees are already suffering around the country from colony collapse disorder. I'd put out some sugar water to help them out and get their tiny minds off the feed until they can manage on their own.

3. Lesa

Lesa Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2008
    Upstate NY
    That is odd- I have bees and chickens. I have never seen bees any where near the food. They must be really hungry. Do you have a hummingbird feeder? You could share a little sugar water with them...

4. sgtmom52

sgtmom52 Birds & Bees

The bees are actually looking for the protein in the pellets (probably soy) which they need to raise their brood. They usually get protein from pollen.

5. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Honey bees are great to have around. We currently have 130 hives. This is my Dad's hobby. They are so gentel you can go collect honey without a suit. My Dad say's it is because they know we do not fear them. The sad reality is if we as a Nation do stop using some of these toxins we are going to destroy are food supply. [​IMG]

6. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. Chicken Fruit

Chicken Fruit Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Echo Homestead
    Leave them alone! oh gosh leave them alone! Theyre just looking for a meal and they are so rare and necessary... dont worry about them.

8. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    What a good point about giving them some sugar water. Don't worry about me touching there hive. I'm a big chicken when it comes to being stung. Also we have killer bees in this area. No thank you.

9. greatergraceoffbg

greatergraceoffbg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Quote:I am making hives, the type Called Kenyan Long Boxed just to make sure we have some living in our area. they are dying everywhere from this Colony Collapse disorder. Without bees we are without fruits and vegetables. I refuse to use a Pest Control service and place powdered Boric Acid all over the upper door and window frames, inner edges of pantry, cabinets and closets. We have no roaches, silver fish, scorpions etc. Rats and mice go out with glue traps and we see them try to get inside every fall, but NO rat poison. Rats will seek water after ingesting the poison and I have seen Geese die quickly, ducks die slowly and chickens die over a three day period after drinking the water that the rats have been drinking out of. Apparently just enough gets from their tounges to the water to kill the birds. Imagine what it does to bees. Short story: we need the honey bees!

Sincerely,
    Andy in Fredericksburg Texas

10. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Quote:I am making hives, the type Called Kenyan Long Boxed just to make sure we have some living in our area. they are dying everywhere from this Colony Collapse disorder. Without bees we are without fruits and vegetables. I refuse to use a Pest Control service and place powdered Boric Acid all over the upper door and window frames, inner edges of pantry, cabinets and closets. We have no roaches, silver fish, scorpions etc. Rats and mice go out with glue traps and we see them try to get inside every fall, but NO rat poison. Rats will seek water after ingesting the poison and I have seen Geese die quickly, ducks die slowly and chickens die over a three day period after drinking the water that the rats have been drinking out of. Apparently just enough gets from their tounges to the water to kill the birds. Imagine what it does to bees. Short story: we need the honey bees!

Sincerely,
    Andy in Fredericksburg Texas

Oh you live in a great little town. We go there at least 3 times a year. We have a 3rd place in Brady, TX.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by