honking and wheezing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jeannieo, Nov 17, 2010.

1. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    Last night my 7 month old Columbian Wyandotte, Zazu, was slightly honking and wheezing. I say slightly because I've had a couple others in the past that honked and wheezed ALOT. I brought Zazu in and put her in the hospital cage by the furnace with corn bread, yogurt, poly vi sol, water, pellets and corn. I really think she just wanted a vacation. But anyway, today she seems much better and am thinking that maybe she just had something stuck in her throat? [​IMG] I've been doing a lot of reading here on BYC and am wondering if I should do the VetRx and/or Tylan 50 just in case. I hate to medicate if it's not necessary. I tried looking down her throat for gapeworms but couldn't see anything and I really don't think that's it anyway. Any thoughts? Does anyone feel it would be all right to put her back in with her peeps?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Don't medicate unless you know what your dealing with. If you have VetRX though you could try that At least it's natural. Might be best to keep her away from the rest until you are certain she's not catching something

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  3. jeannieo

jeannieo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2008
    Collinsville, CT
    thank you! I checked down her throat again and it looks great so I'm thinking no gapeworm and she was totally not honking and wheezing anymore. I listed to her chest and all I could hear was her precious heartbeat! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by