honking chickens

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rangerlou, Aug 5, 2010.

1. rangerlou

rangerlou Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    harrow
    Hello all I have 12 week old chickens that have gone from squeeking chirping sounds to occasional honking sounds almost like the sound of a duck. Could this be some kind of respiratory thing going on?
    They are very healthy otherwise playing and eating well.
    thanks for any help offered
    ranger

2. Eco

Eco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    Whats the breed? I had three Egyptian Faoumi's that started honking at three months like they thought they were geese. They never did quiet down so I got rid of them on Monday at 4.5 months old as I didn't want to alarm the nieghbors. I had 25 hens, all different breeds and I am getting rid of the loudest ones first till I am closer to a dozen.

3. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    One of my 5 month old Light Brahmas honks. It's the weirdest thing. I have no idea why she does it, but it's pretty funny. [​IMG]

4. EmsChooks

EmsChooks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2010
    England, Uk
    it is quite odd isn't it when your chicken sounds like a duck, one of my pullets started doing it a while ago now.
    Does she make "normal" chicken noises too or is she just honking all the time? Mine does both and appears well so personally I am not concerned that she has any respiritory problems. She's just being an individual [​IMG]

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
  6. rangerlou

rangerlou Out Of The Brooder

Dec 30, 2009
    harrow
    Thanks you all for your input. The posted thread was very helpful. I have 12 plymouth barred rocks and two black sex links. The sex links honk the most.
    ranger

7. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    My Snowflake was doing that yesterday. She was making a honking noise with every breath. I was really getting worried and now today she is fine! She has been taking lots of dust baths and yesterday was really humid and warm -- maybe it was one of those things...

8. Pollitollito

Pollitollito Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    PUERTO RICO
    my cochin girls do that too, they sound funny, the do this to atract attention, while the other girls, malassian silkies and tolbunt polish does the sound different. they started to do this at puberty. nothing to worry about, they will do this less when grown ups

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My first red sex link was a honker... I eventually had to rehome her... she was too loud.

10. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I had a few sussex that had respitory issues and honked all the time until I treated them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by