1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Honking hen?!??!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peppypap, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Peppypap

Peppypap Out Of The Brooder

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I think my year old NHR hen has gape worm, she is Craning her neck and making this loud honking noise. She has been sneezing and today I noticed that she was panting. I read that you use Fenbendazole for gape worm? And if so how do I get it?

Edited to correct spelling.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Not so sure sneezing and honking are symptom of gapeworm. What kind of fenbendazole do you have, liquid or paste?

3. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    I don't have any right now, just started to look into it today. She has been sneezing for a few months and after a while she would do the thing were she would arch her neck like a crowing roo, but it is not a cock-a-doodle-doo. It's a AH-GAAAAAAA!!! She looks fine, acts normal (Though she is more atatched to the treats than others) and is laying. She does have some broken feathers around the base of her neck, but she does not have mites and is not pecked on.

4. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    open her beak, and look at the back of her throat, you'd see them , they look like red strings ...

Anotherpossibility, is she is having an airsac / respiratory infection.. are her droppings, foamy yellow ?

Is her comb slightly blue ?

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  5. Peppypap

Dec 16, 2010
    Dallas TX
    My poor little hen died yesterday right after laying an egg. She was right outside the coop. [​IMG] The coop has been completley washed out. Now a different hen is yawning alot, but we treated all of our birds with Fenbendazole. We looked at her and we didn't see anything unusual. She does look like she might have some mites though. I hope she just has mites. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by