Honking, snoring sounds, head shaking, sneezing, watery white stools

twinstwice

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 6, 2013
My 4 month old golden comet was fine yesterday and woke up today with all this nonsense going on. She was still pecking around and hanging with the others, so her attitude is still good. The other 3 girls are still behaving normally. I've quarantined her but am at a loss as to what the cause is. I see no gape worms in the throat but not ruling it out entirely. any advice/help would be much appreciated.

It is good you isolated your bird. Her symptoms may have to do with a respiratory disease. Respiratory diseases are highly contagious (and most are common) and can spread throughout a flock rapidly.

Keeping her warm and giving her some vitamins may clear up her symptoms. If she recovers, she will always be a carrier.

thank you for this suggestion. I'd never heard of this. I felt her up good (ahem) and I can't feel anything suspicious at all. I started treatment for gape worm yesterday and the honking is quieter today but still there with every breath. If it is gape worm, anyone know how long until she improves?

I wanted to update on my chicken. I treated her with safeguard canine granules. made a paste out of it with a little water and put a bb size bit in her beak.
the honking was quite a bit softer the next morning.

I repeated the treatment and by nighttime she was almost better. she drank a ton of water at that point.

This morning she was eating and no more honking/breathing issues all. so I figure it was gape worm, or an obstruction came loose. I'm treating the other 3 girls with it in the water, since I suspect some early signs of gapeworm in another of my chickens.

We have had a lot of snails in the yard in the past, as well as a lot of doves, so I figure the gapeworms could've come from the snails or dove droppings, or earthworms, which we also have a lot of.

I am so glad to have found this forum. What a great learning resource!

Back
Top Bottom