Honky Is In Love With Himself...WHAT DID I DO?????

MrsDolittleDuck

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 29, 2013
Tennessee
As a few of you know, I have a goose named Honky. Have had him for about 6 weeks. Just appeared on my land one day. So I have been talking to a few of you wonderful people about having a goose. Well not sure if I have a problem??? I made Honky a mirror from plexiglass and mirror film. It works great. I thought I would do this, because I know geese like mirrors and shinny. So I am always looking to provide Honky a wonderful live with me and my family. Honky seems to love his mirror, especially the one that is inside it. He just sits there for long periods of time looking at himself. My question is, Is this OK for him to be doing this for such a long period of time. He seemed to stopped going grazing in the yard. I feed him well, so that might have something to do with that. He stilll goes in the yard, but not as much as he was before the mirror. Am I depressing this goose, making him feel lonely or is this OK for him to just really like his mirror? He does not act like he is depressed or unhappy. I'd appreciate everyone's opinions and knowledge.

Last edited:
Caged birds, parrots for example, can develop disturbed social behaviour when provided with a mirror that fakes a companion.
A goose, also a highly social bird could develop similar problems. That it spends a lot of time in front of that mirror instead of grazing in the backyard might be a sign that it is lonely. Another goose as a companion would definetely more appropiate than the reflection in a mirror...

HONKY IN MIRROR (EXCUSE THE POOP MACHINE)

HONKY GOING TO SLEEP ON ONE LEG

STILL SLEEPING...

IM AWAKE...

AREN'T I HANDSOME...I LOVE MYSELF!!

I haven't had geese for a very long time but I can't see this being an issue. I'm sure if he needs food or water he will leave his beautiful self alone for a while. Maybe you should get him a girlfriend to distract him, maybe he just misses seeing another goose.

Either way its super cute and hilarious! Such vanity :)

Oh yes...he does move fast very fast when there is food for him. You call him, and no matter where he is, he will come running. It is too cute!!! This is my first goose or any type of bird. He found me. Just showed up one morning. I have been living in Massachusetts all my life, so I am a northener. I have moved to the south to beautiful Tennessee 1 1/2 years ago, so I am a want to be southern girl...lol..lol..I ama trying..So this is my first goose. I really don't want another goose. One is enough for me. He poops too much...lol..lol..where's does it all come from???...lol... I give him so much attention and I am trying to teach him not to bite, (he's getting better). He will sit right next to me, so he does trust me. I am hoping he will be fine being with me and all my other animals. He seems to be acting like my 3 cats...he hisses all the time...lol..lol I think he is part cat....So Honky is just fine, he lives better than I do. He is very safe from preds, eats like a king goose, and gets alot of time with me and my husband and other pets. I hope he doesn't miss other geese. That is what I was asking all you wonderful bird lovers. Is he sad or does he just love himself?? Can't blame him, look how handsome he is!! SILLY GOOSE!!!

this gave him companionship without the extra goose. I really dont see any harm in it. Most birds are flock animals and can get pretty lonely without a friend.
He is quite handsome! He was lucky to find you
big_smile.png

How cute he loves his mirror! I think he is fine. My geese like to look at their reflections in vehicles. I think like most animals they don't understand a mirror like we do. We know its just ourselves but he thinks its another goose. He's probably just hanging out with his new "friend" so he doesn't feel the need to graze as often as before. You know what would throw him off more than his mirror is one f them lawn ornament geese. Ha! I'd love to see my own geese reaction to something like that.

I am so happy to hear the news. I can't take another lonely goose story. You made me happy. I was hoping I wasn't depressing my goose. Isn't he so cute looking in the mirror? So you are starting to know me from these Honky stories. I will go out and buy him a garden goose. What a brilliant idea. My husband is going to kill me. I am retired, but if I keep it up with buying Honky things, I will have to go back to work, and that can't happen...lol..lol... I actually bought a goose from the internet this week, but it is one that comes with alot of outfits to dress it. I can't give that one to him. that one is mine...lol..but I will find him another. One a little cheaper. Check it out...
http://www.terrysvillage.com/api/search?Ntt=RESIN+GOOSE+&+SEASONAL+WARDROBE+SET+
thanks again. I appreciate you.

OH MY how cute! and the resin means it wont break like my poor ceramic one did. He may be quite interested but after the first meeting will know its an object.
I had the ceramic one by my back door and Gee, my gander attacked it, and took its head off (it broke
sad.png
) He thought it was infringing on his yard I guess.
I couldn't be mad at him, he was just doing his job.

I am so happy to hear the news. I can't take another lonely goose story. You made me happy. I was hoping I wasn't depressing my goose. Isn't he so cute looking in the mirror? So you are starting to know me from these Honky stories. I will go out and buy him a garden goose. What a brilliant idea. My husband is going to kill me. I am retired, but if I keep it up with buying Honky things, I will have to go back to work, and that can't happen...lol..lol... I actually bought a goose from the internet this week, but it is one that comes with alot of outfits to dress it. I can't give that one to him. that one is mine...lol..but I will find him another. One a little cheaper. Check it out...
http://www.terrysvillage.com/api/search?Ntt=RESIN+GOOSE+&+SEASONAL+WARDROBE+SET+
thanks again. I appreciate you.

Oh my what a cute thing that is. A Lil dress up goose. I love it :) oh my you must let me know how that goes. Your so very welcome

Back
Top Bottom