Honky my goose...

Duckfarmer1

Crowing
Jul 23, 2019
Kane,Pa
Hi all. I only have one goose due to his poor mate dying this summer. At that point we didn’t know his sex. Honky is now causing a lot of trouble in the barn. Last night he made a pekin bleed. I’ve just had to put down one of my favorite drake ducks, because of this...I separated him into his own cage, but it was no way to live. I put two hens with him, then they were miserable. The only solution, was to eat him. It broke my heart, truly.

Now Honky is beating up my ducks!! I can’t have this and I don’t want to just kill everyone who is mean. I will probably put him in a cage, in the barn at night, but this won’t stop it during the day. It doesn’t seem to be as bad during the day. I’m not exactly sure I want another goose. But, he was given to me from a man who couldn’t care for him and some ducks. Every once in awhile he checks in. I can’t bring myself to get rid of an animal that someone entrusted me with!!

I’m pretty sure my options are limited, but I was hoping some of you have dealt with this. Also..I think...think, I saw Honky trying to mate with a duck...is that possible that he would do that?? I mean..it’s another species. So, he’s hurting my girls too?! What happens if he fertilizes an egg that I let her set on?

They will not procreate so no worries there. Is Honky going after your drakes? That is pretty normal. I see my gander and my Muscovy drake going at it when full hormones are going. I separate them during the worse of it. I can separate by fencing. But my gander was hatched and raised by Muscovy and once he got sexually mature he mated with them and they never had any problems letting him. His male part and my Muscovy drakes male part are same size actually. But breeding season for geese is starting up so this is par for the course.

Ok, I actually separated Honky today...but last night he made Stevie bleed on the back..I was not happy...it was the first time..since he was little, that I was able to touch him..because I was upset and grabbed him...at least he doesn’t have Muscovies claws!!

Yeah, I think you should keep him separated from the other poultry. I know someone whose goose nearly killed their duck. It's just too dangerous to leave him with them. My geese used to try to beat up the ducks on a regular basis, but ever since we got our German Shepherd, who thinks it's her life's duty to break up any and all fights, the geese have given up their bullying. I also think it would be best if you could get him a new goose friend, if that's possible.

Oh yes...the gander attitude. I'm getting my own taste of this right now. So much for the peace and harmony I was hoping for over winter. If you have a drake jail set up for any of the drakes that are being particularly aggressive or over breeding stick him in there.
As it's been mentioned though, a female friend will help quite a bit. He will be more focused on following her around and keeping her happy than bullying your other birds.
Hopefully you can find something that works, geese are amazing birds, and very rewarding to keep. :hugs:fl

Back
Top Bottom