Honky My New Goose

Discussion in 'Geese' started by MrsDolittleDuck, Aug 2, 2013.

1. MrsDolittleDuck

MrsDolittleDuck Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2013
    Tennessee
    [​IMG]

Hi Everyone,
    Here are some new pics of my new Embden Goose.I just got my Goose 7 days ago. Came wondering in my yard. Started feeding him/her and now it is my new best friend. (Well Almost) Im working on it. Follows me every where. So cute!!
    Not sure if a male or female so I named it Honky!! Just learning all about Geese.
    It is a trip!!! Hope you enjoy my new friend as much as me.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for checking out my new friend. If anyone has any info for me, I would love to hear it. I need all the help I can get to make my friend have the best life it can have.
    I appreciate all the help that y'all have given me.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2013
  2. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Sounds like the goose either got lost from home or some one dumped it off. Congrats on your new friend. You will need to go purchase some waterfowl feed or game bird feed. They have different needs then chickens. Always make sure the water is fresh and in a bucket for them to dunk their head in to clean out the nose. Make sure to have a kiddy pool for the goose to swim and clean in. Always dump it out and refill daily.
    Also you need to have a predator proof pen to put the goose in at night. Because their are predators that love to eat geese, Raccoons, foxes, coyotes also the ones from above as well. Make sure the pen has plenty of air circulation and a roof to keep them dry.
    That is a start for you. Others will chime in as well.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Honky needs to have a very secure place to sleep at night, and something to bath in a kiddy pool works great for that. and of course good feed plus some grazing time. and safety during the day time too. There are a lot of preds just waiting for a chance at a goose dinner. Honky is beautiful you are blessed to have found a friend. She/he may get pushy once she feels completely safe living with you so be prepared to work on any biting or nipping that may arise. Something you may want to read https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/561849/geese-training

4. Moolindafarms

Moolindafarms New Egg

Jul 27, 2013
    Pearcy, Arkansas
    Here is pic of night-time pens for my geese and my ducks
    [​IMG]

5. RURU

RURU Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    Do you have wire on the tops of the pens? We have the same pens for our geese but have welded wire on top so nothing can get into the geese.

6. SummerChick

SummerChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2010
    Somerset, Texas
    Also, some predators can dig under and get in unless you have buried some fencing it something else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by