Honoring my Mama for Mother's Day!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lockedhearts, May 6, 2011.

1. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    This is a note I posted on FB, I wanted to post it here as well. My Mama is one of the Best! I have always walked to the beat of my own drum. She has accepted me for who I am, she has accepted my flaws and relished my accomplishments.

I was really thinking about FB and how many of us have changed our profile pics this week to Honor our Mothers. I wanted to do more. Writing this not is the only thing I can think of to not only let my mother know how I feel and also to let everyone know what kind of mother she really is.

My mother is the oldest of 6, did she helped care for her brothers and sisters growing up. I am sure motherhood , while somewhat familiar was an entirely new story.

She was and is a GREAT mother, she almost always worked while we were growing up, but she also found time to cook our meals, plant a garden and even make us clothes.

I never appreciated that until recently, since I have been unemployed , I realize that even with not having a job, I do not have tons of time , so I have no idea how my Mama did everything she did back then.

She also, took care of my Great-Grandmother during the last few years of her life, still while working , she would cook meals for Mamommie and take them to her, so she could just heat them up during the week. They also had a Gospel singing Group, she has been and is involved in her church, she has headed up activities at the Church and has been involved in the community.

Mama has also been a Rock in my life, I am sure that over the years I have frustrated her to no end, I am sure that there were times she wanted to just walk away. But when I have needed her she has always been there. She handled getting her Grandson's body to Florida, made arrangements for his Funeral, I was a mess, she was strong even though I know her heart was broken.

I will never be the person my mother is, she is my hero, she has held this family together through the tough times. I just hope that in some small way, she can be proud of me, that she can see, I am who I am because she loved me!

The last few years, I have pretty much let Mothers Day pass by quietly, it was hard for me. But, I want my son, whom is looking down on me from heaven, to be proud of his Mom, so this year I needed to Honor my Mother.

I love you Mama! Thank You is not really enough for all you have done!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You are very fortunate to have such a great mother. And she is lucky to have such a caring, appreciative daughter!

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Well said! Now go tell her what you just told us.

4. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:She saw it on FB, her response made me cry , I have a great Mama

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

That was beautiful! I have a lump in my throat.

[​IMG] for you and your great mom.

6. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    A beautiful sentiment. My mom passed away last week and Mother's day will seem strange this year. Mom's get way too much blame and not enough credit.

7. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are a very lucky woman, Karen. Very lucky indeed.

8. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:Yes, I am! And my Mother-In-Law is equally as Great!

9. lockedhearts

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Quote:So sorry about your Mom [​IMG] I have a friend who lost his mother last week as well.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Quote:I am soo sorry to hear about your mother. [​IMG]

Sometimes that blame is well earned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by