Hood Light Question for Brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tweetysvoice, Feb 16, 2012.

1. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Light hood question - I just read in the Chickens for Dummies book that you should buy a light hood that has a ceramic socket instead of the plastic socket because the plastic will melt with high temps left on constantly. Anyone had issues with this? I just checked and the one I have is plastic - but so does the one that's in the bearded dragon's cage and it's never melted. We do just keep the beardie's light on about 15 hours a day and not 24 hours, so this made me wonder if it's something I should worry about.. anyone have any thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  2. tweetysvoice

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    So no one? I know everyone has lights in their brooder.

What type of hooded light fixture do you use for your brooder? One with a plastic socket or a ceramic socket?

3. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I have a metal "brooder lamp" with a ceramic socket and two wires crossing in front to prevent the bulb from contacting the floor if it should fall. And yes, you want a ceramic socket for lights that run 24/7. Plastic can melt from the heat coming out of the neck of a heat bulb and it's just not worth the $8 a decent lamp costs to burn your house down.

Mine is like this one:
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/catalog/pr...ing+search&utm_campaign=google+product search

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012
  4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I use ceramic on higher wattage bulbs, because the danger is somewhat real. Plastic is likely OK, on the lower 75 watt type. It is extremely "melt" resistant or it wouldn't be approved for home use. No way I'd put a 250watt heat lamp in a plastic model, though.

[​IMG]

5. tweetysvoice

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    Great thank you! I'll track one of those down then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by