hooded merganser

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by Wolrep, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Wolrep

Wolrep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Dose anyone here have them in there collection? I seen some recently in someone's private collection and I fell in love with them. How do you say they are personality wise and how well do they do with other ducks? I would really like to get a pair but I have been unable to locate any. If you have some for sale feel free to post here or message me. Shipping is not a issue with me.

Also is there anyone here from central Florida that has some wood ducks for sale please message me.

2. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    They have the most personality of anything I have kept, likely why they are so popular. I have none for sale at this time but may this summer. Look at GBWF and Softbills for available birds.

3. McIntosh1272

McIntosh1272 New Egg

Dec 8, 2013
    Georgia, McIntosh County
    I believe that La Caille Ranch in Alachua, FL does. It is a bit more north Florida than central, however. call Jim at 386-462-1657.

4. maransfan16

maransfan16 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2012
    southwest kentucky
    mallard lane farms sells them. now if they have any right now i don't know, the listing price on the page says 150 per pair though. hope this helps some

5. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    I have a hen and will be getting a pair next week from Pinola Preserve. They are adorable ducks that get along perfectly well. To those that have them, do yours really struggle walking on land? My hen wobbles a lot. She runs up to me with my smew pair and eats out of my hand.

6. JJRS

JJRS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    I would agree with wobble, struggle seems a bit much, after all they do get around just fine.
    Another odd thing about them...nobody ever loses a hen and it is impossible to find drakes.

7. BYC-user-174785

BYC-user-174785 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Very true. Have been looking for a drake since spring so just ended up getting a pair to have the drake. Mine will be shipped this week.

8. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    They look so beautiful just floating around in the ocean.
    In N.H.,Tony.

9. a79hilton

a79hilton New Egg

Jan 13, 2014
    Sulphur,La 70665
    Im looking for a Hooded Drake! I had a trio, 1 drake & 2 hens, my drake died yesterday :-( mating season is around the corner. If you have heard of one for sale or something please let me know and Ill work out a deal for you on your own pair when they mate :) 337-563-8389 text anytime with any info or screen shots please

10. Wolrep

Wolrep Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Wow sorry I frogot about this thread everyone. I have been swamped laitly with work and the holidays. I finally found myself a pair on softbill and they will be arriving this week. Putting the finishing tuched on my 8'x25' pen for them. They will be sharing the pen with a pair of manderins and maybe some parterage not to sure yet. Ill be getting some pics latter of the pen and ill post it up on here. Just finished puting in there pond yesterday and put the roof on. Any suggestions of other birds I should put with them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by