Hoodwinked by MPC? (hamburg/lakenvelder/wyandotte/andalusian/EE??)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sevenbabychicks, Sep 16, 2010.

1. sevenbabychicks

sevenbabychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Hey all,

So here I go again. I ordered two salmon faverolles (one during its first night home), two blue andalusians, one light brahma, one EE, one jersey giant, and one "random assorted rare breed". Supposed to be all pullets. You all were such help when IDing my supposed "light brahma" as a SS Hamburg; she really looks just like one. But now she seems to be developing a single comb! And one of my Andalusians is getting a rose comb! What's going on?? Does "my pet chicken" not care about breed standards or did they just stick me with some randoms?

1. Easter Egger? Man, she's ugly but she's also my fave. So sweet! Anyone ever get one of these from MPC?
    [​IMG]

2. The splash andalusian I'm pretty sure about.
    [​IMG]

3. My supposed second andalusian. But her legs are a different color, she's more personable, and she's developing a different look from the first. Columbian wyandotte?
    [​IMG]

#3's comb! I've never had a rose-combed chicken before.... is this what they look like as a 2.5 week-old chick or is mine just deformed? It's smooth with one little bump towards the back.
    [​IMG]

4. My "ss-hamburg". She's leaner, bigger, faster, and flightier than my other chicks. Could she be a lakenvelder?
    [​IMG]

#4's comb.
    [​IMG]

I guess I could just wait until they feather out, but the waiting's so hard! Thanks so much in advance for any info!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
  2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Hatchery quality does not meet the standard of most serious breeders. Don't know what you have there but I enjoyed looking!

3. serendipityfarm

serendipityfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2010
    Connecticut
    Does #4 have feathered feet?
    My Light Brahma from MPC looked nothin like the pics of LB chicks I found online, but that is in fact what she grew up to be! Their birds are not breed or show quality, so that may account for some of the differences.

4. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Nope, none of feathered feet except for my faverolle. That's what initially made me think "not a brahma".

5. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Forgot to mention that the last chick's feet were pink, but seem to be turning slate. Any guesses?

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    well the last one os NOT a lakenvelder, it looks like a SS hamburg to me but, I know that in Wyandottes and other rose combed breeds, they often cross single combed to straight to improve fertility. I do that with my Rhode Island Reds. So maybe its possible that the hamburg just has a single comb? Though,, a Hamburg has a different kind of rose comb than a wyandotte so dunno and I have never seen a single combed hamburg.

#3, yeah thats pretty much what a rose comb looks like.

7. sevenbabychicks

Sep 9, 2010
    Saint Paul, MN
    Great, thanks! i was hoping for a hamburg over a lakenvelder. not that lakenvelder's aren't pretty, but it's seems to be turning out that more of my chicks are going to end up predominantly white than I'd planned; I was going for a rainbow scheme. Here's hoping for some big spangles!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by