Hoof Help!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by MrsKemmerlin, Aug 22, 2011.

1. MrsKemmerlin

MrsKemmerlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I have a miniature PB who has began having some cracking in his hooves [​IMG] They don't bother him at all, he'll let you mess with them and has no problem walking. But they are pretty harsh looking to me and I would like them fixed ASAP so it doesn't turn into something worse.. What would be my best method to get them to heal effectively? Is there a sealant I can use that will at least protect it from getting any worse until the hoof/cracks can grow out? Or something that I'm not thinking of that would work better? There is no infection so that isn't an issue, but he has to be in and out of water throughout the day because of the high temps - so whatever it is has to be waterproof too.. Can anyone help? Please?

Thank you in advance! [​IMG]

2. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    To me, cracking generally implies a dry hoof wall. I have one mare whose feet crack from dryness so I use a hoof dressing a couple of times a week and that makes a difference for her. She has white feet. My horses with black hooves don't seem to have the problem, even with as dry as it has been lately. Maybe give it a try and see if it helps. If the problem is tougher than that, then maybe consider feeding HB15 or something similar. The balanced biotin formula does seem to help with hoof condition.

HTH

Rusty

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi. The outer hoof walls crack because there are forces that actively pry that outer shell away from the hoof. You can't heal them back up. The only way to prevent this from continuing to happen is to bevel or roll the edges of the hooves. And also keep him on a short cycle like 5-6 weeks between trims. [​IMG]

4. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    I will certainly try the dressing - funny that you say that about the color of the hooves, his are lightly colored as well [​IMG] And I will look into the HB15. I have him on a small dose of biotin, but I think small is the hindering term with it... Thank you!

And I understand that they can't heal up, I'm just looking for something that will seal up the crack so they hopefully can grow out.. He is on a decent cycle for trimmings, but I will certainly try the rolling. This is the point where it would be really nice if he wouldn't care if a low speed on the dremel did his pedicure! But the little stinker hates even the sound of it. [​IMG]

5. welsummerchicks

welsummerchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2010
    Cracking isn't necessarily due to drying - it can occur because the hoof is incorrectly trimmed, and the weight/forces are causing the hoof to crack.

You might do better having a local carpenter come over and build a little barn for you.

If you do buy a prefab structure or if you have someone build one for you on site, it's very important where you put it - making sure the area is very well drained is really important. Picking an area that's the highest point on your property can help. But if that's the middle of a hill and water and melting snow/ice runs down that hill, it could still get very wet and damp in and around the building. Putting down big rock and ontop of it, gravel (like building a driveway) can help.

Be sure to check township laws and state laws - some states require specific kinds of shelters for specific animal types.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2011
  6. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:He is a house pig, no structure necessary - well, other than half of DH shed [​IMG] He has a mud pool and my dog has just a water pool, he likes to play in both during the day while DH and I are at work. Temps are rather brutal here, he'd be one depressed little piggy if he had to stay out of either - that's why I mentioned waterproof would be something amazing! Not looking to keep him outside, I love my little grump in and about the house. Just wanted something good to seal up those cracks until they can grow out [​IMG]

7. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    There is a hoof crack cream you can get from the TSC that is marketed for horses that should help. We have a goat that gets cracked hooves every once in a while, especially during very dry weather.

8. MrsKemmerlin

Feb 14, 2011
    Round O, SC
    Quote:Do you by chance remember what it's called?

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by