Hook worms

eggluvr

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 16, 2011
Ok- so many things i have learned and keep learning. After a few things have happened in this process the Tractor supply place told me to use Wazine on my flock every 30 days. ok so now i worried about my dog and a puppy that frequents our yard (of course they eat the chicken poop). The owner was taking her puppy to the vet for puppy stuff i asked her to ask about the chicken poop and if it was harmfull. Vet found hookworms in the puppies stool! the Wazine does not state it treats hook worms, vet says it most likely came from chickens, so now how do i know and how do i treat chickens and my dog?

For treatment of all worms use Valbazen. Valbazen kills every kind of worm they could possibly have.

For chickens (liquid form of valbazen) Mix 1 cc wormer with 8 cc water and then give 2cc of that solution down the throat for large fowl and 1 cc of the mixture for small ones.

For adult dog dosage is 1 cc per 10 lbs of body weight

Wazine (piperazine) only treats ascarids, or round worms. No, it will not get hookworms. Valbazen (albendazole) will get hookworms. However, there is no single deworming medication in the world that will treat "every kind of worm they could possibly have." Valbazen takes care of a lot of worms, but it won't get roundworms. And it may not be the most effective drug for some of the species it does treat.

As for how to know if the chickens have hookworms, you could take a stool sample to your vet and have them do a fecal float to look for them just like they did on the puppy. You don't say how old the puppy is, or how long you have had him, so there is a possibility he may have had the hookworms when you brought him home. Just saying, they may not have come from the chickens in the first place. Although if your puppy is eliminating in areas that your chickens have access to and you are not picking up the feces immediately there is a possibility the chickens could have picked them up from your puppy.

No offense, but Valbazen does get them all (Which is why it is considered a broad spectrum de-wormer). Valbazen (Albendazole) is actually prescribed to also kill intestinal & systemic Nematode (Roundworm) infections.

Last edited:
Valbazen kills all known worms that chickens get. Fenbendazole kills most worms in chickens, hookworms included. A second dose should be given 10 days after the initial treatment with either wormer.
For dogs: Nemex, Drontal, Strongid T contain Pyrantel pamoate, an effective ingredient for hookworms. Fenbendazole is also commonly used to treat hookworm and is an effective treatment as well. After the initial treatment in dogs, a second treatment is needed 30 days later, to kill hookworms that were still in migration. Talk to your vet concerning dosages for your dog.

Quote:
Large roundworm, cecal worm, capillary worm, gapeworm, eyeworm, gizzard worm, hookworm, stomach worm, various types of tapeworms, flukes. I'm sure there are more....

Back
Top Bottom