Hookbills Anyone?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Birch Run Farm, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I want to try some dusky hookbills so I will be looking for a pair or hatching eggs in the spring. Let me know if you are a breeder.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I know someone on here from the Willamette got hookbills from Holderread last year. He/she may post, or here's the link:

http://www.holderreadfarm.com/

3. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    I'd like to know if they liked the ducks they got from Holderreads. That may be the only source and I do know they have a great reputation.

4. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I've received Silver Appleyards, Emdens, Pilgrims and Tufted Romans from there. You'd have to find some very specialized breeders to find higher quality.

5. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    I'm anxiously awaiting an order from Holderreads.

I have a pair of white Runner ducks and a pair of black Silky ducks coming.

I understand their reputation is hard to beat as well as their birds.

6. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Willowbrook,

I assume you are getting adult pairs?

Greyfields,

Was your order hatchlings or adult pairs?

Both of you: If these were adults did you order their top quality? How were they for egg production?

7. greyfields

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I got all mine as goslings/ducklings, altough I'm not far from Corvalis. I hatch all my own, so I have no need to continue to buy waterfowl anymore.

I have no idea on numbers of eggs. I collect all the eggs from February through April and hatch them and sell them along as meat animals in the summer/autumn. I honestly don't keep records and I allow them (the geese) to crossbreed. The Appleyards, to me, are a superb eating duck so I'm not doing it for the eggs.

8. Willowbrook

Willowbrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    western PA
    Willowbrook,

I assume you are getting adult pairs?

Both of you: If these were adults did you order their top quality? How were they for egg production?

Yes, I am getting adult pairs. I didn't order "top quality," but the next level down. I did this because when I talked with Dave he told me that the pair of Runners that I was getting were from "top" stock parents and would possibly produce the blue mutation.
    Having never had the Silky duck, I thought I'd start a little more modestly.

I already have Runners and they are excellent with egg laying. Personally, I can't say enough good things about the breed, but I don't have a lot to go on as I only have two Saxony ducks besides the Runners.​

9. KanakaNui

KanakaNui Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    N.Central FL
    I ordered some Welsh Harlequin ducklings from them last year...They sent extras, and every single one lived and thrived. And I'm in Florida and USPS delivered my ducks to the feed store and not my place - didn't bother to read the label. All except one were very "typey" and beautiful birds (she must have been an extra:D).
    They lay like crazy and I love my WH.

I've had limited experience with Holderread's but I'll give them an "A" in regards to WH's

10. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    Thanks All, for your input. Once winter breaks here I'll phone and see what is available for hookbills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by