hooked already, placed an order for more....questions about day olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bangor777, May 8, 2008.

1. bangor777

bangor777 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2008
    OK, well the babies are all doing well. I just picked up my two week old chicks yesterday and we are soooo in love. We decided to add some bantams to our flock. I ordered from ideal and I am expecting 8 babies on 5/15. I'm really nervous though...here's my questions:
    Won't these new babies be tiny? The two week olds are sturdy and healthy, what are the chances that all these new day old babies will be OK? Should I get grogel for the water? Will they know how to drink once I show them the water and dip their beaks?
    I will be keeping them in a separate brooder, when can the two groups meet? (they'll be about three weeks apart in age). Is it normal to lose one or two? Oh, I'm so nervous! I'm thrilled to be getting them so tiny, yet looking forward to them being bigger and stronger. I'd love input and reassurance. What else is different with newly hatched babies? Thanks in advance, you guys have been awesome!

2. yellowdragon

yellowdragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Springville, Indiana
    I normally keep chicks that are more than a week older(even if both are standard). A week is a big diiferene with chicks. I would put them in a separte brooder and they should be fine once you dip their beeks acouple of time. Good luck

3. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Just make sure they have plenty of food and water and I am sure they will be fine.
    Before mixing them with the older ones just make sure they have time to view eachother threw chicken wire so they get use to eachother a little before they mix.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by