Hooking up a fan in the incubator. AND best duck breed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SilverBlaze, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SilverBlaze

SilverBlaze Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2010
    Hey everyone!

Man, it's been awhile since I've posted. The last hatch turned out -awesomely-, best one yet, even though I wound up having to help almost all the chicks hatch out. I dunno what I did wrong.. the chicks hatched dead on time, humidity and the temp were dead-on. The chicks pipped, but never 'unzipped' the eggs. It's like they were stuck. One died, and after that I figured I didn't have much to lose by helping them out. They were -BIG- chicks. Sweetest chickens ever though, I swear. So yeah, any ideas to that, I'd love to hear. Kinda curious as to what happened.

Anyway, the reason I jumped in the pool today; I've heard you can take a PC fan and rig it up in a Little Giant to make it a forced-air without shelling out the 40 bucks for the 'official' fan setup. How do I go about doing that though? Any ideas on how well it works? Or am I better off sticking with the still air now?

Also, I'm wanting to hatch ducks. Haven't done it yet, but a friend of mine lives out on a farm, and can raise 'em. She's just looking for some generic, kid-friendly ducks; not likely to eat them. Any suggestions on a good breed to look at? I see alot of 'call ducks' on ebay.. what about those?

Thanks guys! [​IMG]

2. MTopPA_18707

MTopPA_18707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just curious - what were the Temp / Humidity during the first 18 days and then the lock down ?

Advise on temp seem pretty consistent, but I've heard a number of different theories on Humidity.

- X

PS:> sorry can't answer fan question.

3. SilverBlaze

SilverBlaze Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2010
    During the entire time, humidity was 60%, and temp was 102. (I can keep my incubator steady at 102, but trying to hit 101 causes it to flucuate a bit more than I'm comfortable with). On day 20 when the chicks hatched, the temp was up to 103 when I got home from work, and I turned it down a smidge, but then I noticed the pips, so yeah. I've read conflicting information on raising the humidity/lowering the humidity/raising the temp/ lowering the temp during lock-down, so I just left it all alone, making sure the temp didn't rise dangerously high or low, and left it alone.

Out of 48 eggs, 2 candled clear to begin with, one turned cold about 2 weeks in (I noticed it as I was turning them, it was alot cooler than the other ones, and felt heavier. I tossed it to be safe), 2 never pipped, and then there was the one that pipped and died. I wound up with 42 live and active and healthy chicks running around the brooder.

4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

To power a PC fan you just need to wire it up to a power inverter plug. Those are the big bulky black ones. Look for an old one that says output: 12V DC. Anywhere from 6V to 18V will work ok but it has to be DC. Cut the wires on it an the fan an twist them together. Tape it up an hang the fan in the incubator.

I would calibrate your humidity gauge. It may be reading higher than it actually is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by