hookworms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluebird, Nov 23, 2009.

1. bluebird

bluebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    No one mentions treating hookworms. I first treated with wazine, 10 days later I treated with 5% ivermectin and 2 weeks later took in a stool sample to check for worms. They were posotive for coccidiosis AND hookworms! I am now treating with Albon for the cocci and Panacur for hooks. Should I repeat in 2 weeks? Have also dusted them and their pen with DE for mites. I have had my two little bantams for about 6 weeks and they are still in quaranteen in my garage.

Debbie

2. bluebird

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    So no one else has had a problem with hookworms?????

3. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Not yet. Watching for a response too. The day is young. Folks will look. There are several articles on hookworms in the "Search" box above.

4. oliviad51

oliviad51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    North Carolina
    here are a few ways to prevent and help worms.

1. Crush up a couple cloves of garlic with a cup of water, and then drain the water the next day so their are not garlic pieces in it- just water. Take the water and put it in your chicken's water bowl. Garlic is a natural treatment for colds and worms.
    2. Keep your chicken's environment clean, and make sure there are not many droppings for your chickens to eat. Chickens cannot smell very great, so they can't smell what they eat.
    3. Make sure your chickens coop is big enough for them not to be crowded together. Keep enough roosting perches for them to have plenty of room, and don't put roosting perches directly over each other. That can cause the chicken's droppings to land on the one under them.

Hope this helps a little!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. bluebird

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    Quote:Thank you! Will try the garlic as well.

6. bluebird

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    So does anyone know if it is safe to put the used litter in my compost pile when treating for hookworms? [​IMG]

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    The used litter will contain both the worms and the coccidia microbes, I would burn it or get it off my property.
    Keep going with the Albon, that stuff works great, but cocci are tuff little buggers to kill, and are very deadly, as they distroy the digestive trace, thus the bloody diareha associated with it.
    As for hook worm, I would have thought the Ivermctin would have done the trick.
    We use Wazine (Piperazine) and Safeguard (Fenbendazole) 2-3 times a year as a preventative against them. They and all other worms are very common in poultry, wheather people realize it or not. The ol, I've never had worms, saying, really means, I have never had them tested for them, because most any critter living on the dirt gets worms at one time or another in their life, especially one that makes a living eating dirt (poultry).
    Your meds will get it all cleared up, from there, just develope you a worming schedule 2-3 times yearly, and all will be fine,
    Burn everything they were around though with that coccidia!

8. Hook worms are the trouble you do not need. They find their way into the soil on your property and they can live in it FOREVER.

I watched a group of AG inspectors shutting down a "cat/dog lady" and they were "geared up". When they were done i asked why the big protection thing. They replied "Hook Worms".

9. bluebird

Feb 4, 2008
    Valparaiso, IN
    [​IMG] OMG! I was afraid of that! Thank you both for your replies! I put the litter out with the garbage (pick up) but I will burn the rest till done treating and get another fecal done. These two pullets are my very first chickens and I love them dearly and they will eventually be living in my 8'x8' BirdHouse with a couple pigeons. So glad I kept these little ladies in my garage.

My vet says I don't need to, but should I treat again in 2 weeks?

I have been putting DE on them and in their litter from the start. Wouldn't that kill any eggs or worms they pass?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  10. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    shouldnt need to retreat, a follow fecal exam will tell for sure though.
    As for worm eggs, they can be tuff to kill...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by