hooligans

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by heather112588, Mar 14, 2011.

1. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    My chickens have a habit; just wondering if it is normal. They take things that they like and hide it in their pen [​IMG] . My barred rock hen (Patience) found a big red shiny button in our yard and put it in her nest...she acted quite proud of it too [​IMG] . They find whatever is around in our yard (especailly things that are shiny), whatever they like and i find it in their coop. I have found little metal bits, buttons and lately...my cell phone (it's flat and small)! They were all sleeping on it as i was going crazy trying to find it. They took my cell phone! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 14, 2011
  2. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    Hmm... are you sure you dont just have a bunch of wrong-colored magpies in your coop?

3. Emmalion

Emmalion Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    [​IMG]

5. RL

RL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Oak Point, TX
    Funny. I don't know if that is normal or not never seen my chicken do that. If mine find something they are attracted to they will either just eat it or if they can't eat it they will beat the crap out of to see if they can break it up so they can eat it. If they can't break it up and eat it they just yell at it and leave it for the next one to grab it and the whole thing starts over again.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Those are not chickens. They have magpie or packrat blood.[​IMG]

7. tigercreek

tigercreek Chillin' With My Peeps

Bet they wanted to order pizza!! You better start giving tastier treats!![​IMG] .....stan

8. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    Quote:...They do this as well. I can't be too upset with them though. I left my phone outside by the coop, it's been over a month, if they hadn't have liked it and put it in their coop, it would have been completely ruined (it has rained hard about 4 times within the month). The phone was chipped (i assume from them trying to figure it out) but it had no water damage and worked!

...Also it wouldn't surprize me if they had attempted to order a pizza...after all i did have pizza hut's number on speed dial in there...i can just imagine that. "Did you say Mushroom? bok bok"

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. arianna

arianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    North Carolina
    Quote:[​IMG]

10. jojo54

jojo54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2009
    BC Canada
    Quote:Too true. Or else they are starting small and working their way up to the garage opener so they can go for a spin. Or the house keys to sneak in and party while everyone is at work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by