hoop building duck house

sayyadina

Songster
10 Years
May 19, 2009
We're working on planning for our ducks & geese that are coming next year, and my dad would like to use a hoop building like this http://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft1_tension_fabric_buildings-ft1_livestock_animal_housing;pg108162.html

My
concern with this is how predator proof it would be.

Our planned site is between 2 of our PV panels, which is in an area surrounded by fencing, currently high tensile but will be converting to no climb in the future.

If I'm remembering correctly the last one (10'W x 7'H x 20'L) should fit well where we're planning on putting it, which I think should be plenty big enough for our initial flock, with room to grow.

Will be starting with 10 runner ducks, 5 welsh harlequins & 2 african geese.

That hoop house looks cool. But yeah, not very predator proof. I think it would have to be kept inside a sturdier enclosure--what will your perimeter fence be made of? How high? Also, what kind of predators are you likely to have? Around here we have just about everything from rats and owls up to coyotes and bobcats (but not bears or cougars, thank goodness). But some areas only have a few or smaller predators. Knowing what you're up against will help a lot in determining what you need to build.

I have Runners and love them. I'm also getting magpies in the Spring, which is exciting.

Good luck!

Many of the hoop (greenhouse style) frames use ordinary fencing toprail. I know the local fencing place near me stocks them in 21 foot lengths. The hoops set in ordinary line posts, also easy to get from any fencing place, Home Depot, Lowes......ect.

I had looked into one of the "hoop benders" that is listed on ebay and the web but ended up ordering a greenhouse frame.
http://www.lostcreek.net/

Years ago I ordered one for building an aviary, it has worked well. One end I built a frame with a door, the other end connects to the pen I had before the aviary. It is covered with pvc coated 1 inch wire. You can get the wire in many sizes. I used a two foot wide piece along the top, then connected 6 foot wide pieces down the sides all using cage clips and heavy zip ties. It goes down the sides and overlaps the ground by about 1.5 feet. I have coyotes, fox and raccoon as my primary predators...........never had anything get in.

My aviary: http://www.giffsfarm.com/coldframeaviary.html

aviary-const-13.jpg

giffy
--------------------

Our current fence is 6 strand high tensile electric, which we've had a lot of trouble with. Will be replacing with no climb, 4-5ft high.

As far as predators go, we've seen fox, rats & bald eagles in the area, and we've heard reports of stray dogs & coyotes.

If we lined the inside with hardwire cloth, would that make it more predator proof? We'll be putting whatever we build on a concrete slab.

We have enough space to make it 20' x 10', and probably 6' high. Would also like to have a small feed room.

Back
Top Bottom