Hoop Coop addition with pics

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by josher57, Sep 23, 2016.

1. josher57

josher57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Alabama
    So this was my current coop/run setup. I originally had 8 but do to the "Lab Chicken massacre of 2016" I was down to 2 hens.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I wanted to add a second group of hens and possibly a rooster. I read some stuff about keeping them separated. I started researching "2 coops with a shared run" but couldn't find anything I liked. So I had the idea of building a coop hoop. Easy to set up and enlarge if needed. And then add a small tunnel to combine the two.

I originally took pictures with my Note 7 :( but had to turn it it before it burned my house down. I forgot to download the pics...oops.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I built it inside an 8x8 frame. I used the 16' cattle panels that I believe are 4' tall. I saw a guy (stole his idea) that added a kick plate on the edges where the panels would sit. So I built the frame first, added the kick panels and the walked the cattle panels into the frame. This made it way easier than wrestling the panes with part of the frame already attached. I then stapled in the panels and added some black welded wire because the openings in the panels were larger than I liked. I slid boards into the panels to give me a frame of reference as to where to build the interior.

I had a hard time finding someone build a "coop" inside a hoop coop. So I pretty much winged the next part. I added a floor first, then a front and back wall. The front wall opens into the coop. The back wall has a large for for poop scooping and such. The floor measured 3'x8'. I bought some corrugated roofing metal 8' pieces. I cut them in half to give me some over hang on each side. Like any good chicken coop, I used a bunch of left over lumber that I had laying around. For this project, it meant fencing boards. I started on one end and started cutting them to fit. (This was cheaper but it left some gaps in between the roof and walls. I'm not too worried about it because the roof and cattle panels provide a good barrier. Now I don't have to worry about ventilation right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I had a hard time visualizing the nesting boxes before I built it. Like I said, I couldn't find a lot on it. I ended up adding the nesting boxes on the outside of the coop. They sit lower than I wanted but there is more room inside and I was able to get 3 of them. I added 2 roosts and 2 bags of play sand. Inside, before I added sand, I added trim boards around the edge of the floor to help keep the sand "upstairs".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a pic of the little tunnel I built to connect the two coops to the one run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Like I said, its blocked off right now because I'm adding some more ladies tonight!!!

I've started using these locks. No idea what they are called. But the knob twists and you can add a carabiner clip for extra security.
    [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/7582554/width/350/height/700

The hoop coop is 8x8. I'm 6'2" and I can stand up with room to spare inside. I'd guess and say it's about 6'5" inside.

Once the ladies get to know each other, I'll open up the tunnel and let them have free range of both runs/coops.

1 person likes this.
  2. 1coop2coop

1coop2coop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2016
    North Alabama
    Cool

3. lynnehd

lynnehd Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2015
    Vancouver, Wa.
    Wow, great job! Lots of good problem solving, nice step by step instructions.

You might consider adding 1/2 inch hardware cloth 2-3 feet up around the base, so raccoons or other predators can't reach through and grab a chicken head. The black welded wire might be enough, but raccoon hands, among others, are tiny! [​IMG]
    Perhaps an 'apron of welded wire or hardware cloth around the base, fanned out about 18-24 inches and covered with gravel/pavers.

4. josher57

josher57 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 26, 2016
    Alabama
    Yeah I just found a left over roll of it in my shop. I'll probably start working it in on my next "off day". Same thing with the apron. I've got it around the red coop. I blended in with the grass so fast, I forgot it was there ha

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by