Hoop Coop for Breeding?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coonriver, Aug 12, 2010.

1. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    I'm thinking of building some breeding pens and i think a hoop style would work best for me.does anyone have any pictures of any maybe ones that are movable? I'm thinking around 8'-10' long or so? maybe made of pvc pipe for the hoops with 2x4's around the bottom and tarps for the tops.what would work good for the backs and the front for a door to gather eggs,feeding and watering.Thanks!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    there are some folks here have the best looking breeding bins I ever seen, try to search the coop section again.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Hi coonriver, my first coop was a hoop tractor that I kept my chicks in during the day. Now they use it in the afternoon for shade and shelter while free ranging. I used the large 7' X 4' concrete mesh reinforcer from Home Depot (six inch squares, about $7 each--this will rust though) with smaller chicken wire over the top of that and 2"X4" 14 gauge galvanized wire on the ends. I actually had the hoop shape long before I got my chicks--it was one of my portable green houses for starting seeds in the spring. The coop was strong enough without wood, but I wanted a good door frame and to put wheels on it. The thing was it was very cheap and took less than a day to make. I eventually covered 1/2 of the hoop part with insulation and corrugated resin roofing material. I also have a removable shade-cloth cover on that. The wheels were casters my neighbor gave to me. The footprint is exactly 4' X 8'. I think the whole thing would cost much less than $50 if you bought everything new. If you use heavy enough wire, you shouldn't need PVC. It's surprisingly strong just with the wire bent as it is and tied into the ends. One concern you might have is predators getting underneath it; it would be very easy to put wire on the bottom too. Finally, it weighs exactly 75 lbs.

Here's an early pic before roofing material:
    [​IMG]

Here's a recent pic where it has wheels:
    [​IMG]

They really like it inside:
    [​IMG]

4. coonriver

coonriver Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Sac City,Iowa
    That is kind of what i was thinking of is something like yours,i thought about eliminating the wire over it and just going with pvc on the ends and 2 pvc pipes spaced out in the middle of it {around 8' long?} and just stretching a tarp the same size that i make it over it and attach it to the 2x4 on the bottom and having wire on the back and make some sort of door out of wire and wood.

5. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    Quote:Hi coonriver, I see what you're thinking now. What is your predator situtation? I'd worry about something tearing through the tarp. If that's not a worry, then it certainly sounds possible, and cheap too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by