1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoop Coop Meat Birds

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rolffamily, Sep 30, 2012.

1. rolffamily

rolffamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I am going on week 7 with my cornish X raising them in fall in Wisconsin in a hoop coop - and so far am more than pleased. They are obviously more comfortable in the cool temps, they have fresh air constantly and have a clean coop floor every day.

We ordered 20 cornish female and got 21 (they threw one in just in case). We still have all 21 (awesome, huh?) and raised them from day one in the "hoop coop". In the beginning we had them on a sheet of plywood with shavings and a heat lamp but pulled all that out after 2 weeks. Now I just move them every day onto fresh grass and give them food and water. We're taking them to a butcher in 11 days ($3.50 per bird to butcher). They weigh an average of 8# and will probably gain another pound or two yet. I don't have extra light on them, so they have daylight from about 6:30 am to 7:30 pm.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    There's no need for extra light. They're meat birds and they should be slowing their consumption now(finishing).

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Would love to see a pic of your setup.
    Do you have a cover on your hoop coop?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by