1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hoop coop question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1700schicken, Apr 3, 2017.

1. 1700schicken

1700schicken New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Upstate NY
    Well I just introduced myself in the new members forum, so now down to business!
    I live in Upstate NY, and will be raising Dominiques as they seem not only docile, but hardy when it comes to the climate up here. Plus I'm a history buff, so their historical background is icing on the cake.
    My question is, if I build it big enough, can my birds live in a hoop coop year round? I'm allowed to have up to 15 birds, but I'm starting with only four or five. I plan on some chicken tunnels as well around my gardens, but for now I'm wondering if I can get away with just this setup compared to a run and a coop. It will be a sturdy construction, trampoline frame for the ends and cattle panel for the sides, with a beam running the center. I can build it, just not sure how big it will need to be. Thanks for the help and advice,
    1700schicken

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Hello and welcome, [​IMG] you need to join in with the NY chicken lovers thread - we are a chatty bunch!
    Ok - coop - so each bird when full grown will need at least 8sq. ft/bird in coop and 10 sq. ft in the run - this should give you an idea of how much room you will need. If they are going th free range you can get away with a bit less space. Just be aware, if they are cramped, come wintertime they are going to pick on one another if they don't have sufficient space.
    Yes, they can live in a hoop coop, but make sure it's predator proof - you will need to protect the sides with 1/2" hardware cloth to be absolutely sure of keeping raccoons etc. out. If possible you should extend it into the ground for about 6 inches to prevent digging critters too.
    Have you looked under the learning tab? There are several ideas for coops and many different designs. I'm sure you will find something there to help you with the design....[​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!
    Do you plan on this being a stationary hoop coop or mobile?
    Cattle panels make pretty good structural components.
    Hog panels are even stronger(might want that for snow load consideration) tho a bit pricier.
    They are pretty much limited to an 7-8' width if you wan to be able to walk in it comfortably,
    but you can go as long as you have space for with a stationary design.
    Or you could go 'hightower' ....https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1120946/modified-hoop-coop-design-development

Haven't ever seen that....I like it!
    Think it's especially apropos for harsh winter climes.

4. WesleyBeal

WesleyBeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2016
    Douglas County, Minnesota
    I certainly like the notion of having 8 sq feet per bird, but for practicalities sake, I'm going to stick with 4 sq feet for a more realistic general guideline.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This is mine...the coop is separate from the run, but an enclosed coop could just as easily be incorporated within the hoop if you made the hoop longer. We can stand comfortably to work in it, too. We mostly cover ours during the winter with clear, mesh reinforced greenhouse type plastic..I say "partially" because we always leave ventilation in the run as well as the coop. It's just as critical there. Ours handles our snow load, and even our fierce winds (a gust was recorded by the National Weather Service here of 90 mph in January) don't budge it a bit. Because there's no framing, it flexes with the winds rather than trying to resist them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    2 people like this.
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. 1700schicken

1700schicken New Egg

Apr 3, 2017
    Upstate NY
    That's a beautiful hoop coop. Like a lot of people, I have to do this on a modest budget. My thought process is, get a sturdy hoop house built, big enough for five hens. This would be half covered with a tarp in the summer for protection from the sun, and covered all the way with greenhouse plastic during the winter, always leaving vetilation. If I was to make this their sole living quarters, do I add the 50 square feet required for their run, and the say 30 square feet required for the coop together and make a hoop coop 80 square feet?
    I envision a roost, and maybe two nesting boxes, along with the assorted other items a good coop and run would have. All your thoughts and info are appreciated,
    1700schicken

8. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Truly, the 'acceptable' sq.ft is 4, but I have found when doing research that many sources state that more is better. I'm the first to admit my girls don't have that amount of coop space, but they do have unlimited outside access and in the winter they live inside a big barn...so plenty of room. I hate to see LF crammed together in a small space [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    This might fit the bill(haha!) tho it has no predator proof mesh,
    (thus the cost-add ~$100 for 1/2" HC),
    and I don't know the climate/location.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1154855/200-chicken-coop-tractor

Hoop coop can be tough for year round habitation in your climate.
    @bigmrg74 in Michigan has one but he stacks a lot of straw around base in winter, maybe he will chime in with some pics.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2017
    eggbert420 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by