Hoop Coop/Run Pros and Cons?

moon_cocoon

In the Brooder
May 6, 2018
We are leaning towards building a hoop coop and run for our chickens. It would be made into a permanent structure; not a tractor.

It seems like it will be cheaper to build. Thoughts? But I'm also worried about it collapsing in somehow. I've seen a lot of pictures on Google where this happened to people. I live in Alabama where there's rarely any snow but we do have freak heavy snow sometimes.

Are there any cons you guys have dealt with?
Should we stay away from the hoop route?
Any tips for keeping costs down when building a coop/run? It will be a large area; about 2000 sq ft.

Thanks

Do you mean using plastic piping for the structure and chicken wire for the cover? I'd be concerned depending on predators in your area. Sounds like you can do it. Also will it be tall enough for you to enter and walk around? Once in awhile you want to do this to clean, sit with the chickens, check out a sick chicken, etc. I don't (and refuse to) live where it snows, so that concern of yours may be valid as well. I have never seen such a coop. If you do it show us photos please! :p

I've done 8x12 hoop coops with Livestock panels. They are fairly sturdy. Snow would slide off before it collapsed, I think. I never get more than a few inches, I doesn't really stay on top at all.

Do you mean a 2000 sq ft covered area? Then would probably want to just use 4x4 posts and 2x4 welded wire top. Would be expensive. Or maybe a steel framed greenhouse type structure.

@Blooie has an excellent hoop run made with cattle panels. She doesn’t have any bracing holding it up, the natural flex of the cattle panels let it hold up to snow and wind.

I’m not sure if it would be feasible to make a hoop coop 2000 square feet, though. That’s pretty big. You might be better off like cholland said, and use posts & 2x4 welded wire. T-posts might be cheaper & easier than 4x4 posts.

We are leaning towards building a hoop coop and run for our chickens. It would be made into a permanent structure; not a tractor.

It seems like it will be cheaper to build. Thoughts? But I'm also worried about it collapsing in somehow. I've seen a lot of pictures on Google where this happened to people. I live in Alabama where there's rarely any snow but we do have freak heavy snow sometimes.

Are there any cons you guys have dealt with?
Should we stay away from the hoop route?
Any tips for keeping costs down when building a coop/run? It will be a large area; about 2000 sq ft.

Thanks

I'd recommend having several smaller, more portable coops, especially in the first year or two while you are figuring things out. I'm soooo glad that we are using portable/semi portable livestock housing because so far, I've regretted the first location of every single one. The sheep run-in is too close to the woods which severely cuts down how far the pasture fencing reaches, the coop for the free rangers is too close to the house and they spend too much time hanging out under my porch instead of industriously lowering my feed bill by eating bugs, and the duck pasture is too close to the driveway and has too many low areas which hold water when it rains which the ducks have a delightful time turning into a horrid muddy mess.

Most of our coops are actually converted camping trailers. We needed something quick, cheap, and predator proof with the added bonus of being portable (at least when the ground is dry). They are kind of tacky looking, but we are on the last house on a dead-end street and have no near neighbors so it's not too bad.

Back
Top Bottom