Hoop Coops and Wind - How stable are they?

grnidone

Songster
7 Years
Jul 9, 2016
Russell, Kansas
I've been looking at a couple of Hoop coop plans including:

The Pyxis Hoop Coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/pyxis-hoop-coop.66037/
The Dutch Hollow Hoop Coop: https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/dutch-hollow-hoop-coop.65223/

I love the idea of a hoop coop because I need to expand my coop, but my main concern is stability. Kansas has wind. Today, we had gusts of 75 mph. (This, of course, is atypical, but not unheard of.) Gusts of 30 mph are the norm.

So, how stable are these hoop coops? Or should I look at something else?

DDA1AB33-8F27-4296-AE82-8D1E5EEE244E.jpeg
Mine has been amazing. We get winds regularly in the 40-60 mph range, and last January we had an officially recorded gust of 90. Ours is just the run, not the entire coop, but I just can’t say enough good things about it.

AWESOME! So glad to hear it. I love the idea of the design, and plan to put flip down wheels on it to move it around the yard like a tractor. Glad to know it's sturdy.

I think ours does so well because there’s no framing. Without bracing, it flexes in the wind rather than fighting it. Many disagree with me, but we put it up in April 2014 and it has never needed any adjustments or repairs. Whether no bracing would work for you with your plans to put wheels on it not I don’t know, but doesn’t seem to me like it would.

My hoop coop is attached to the ground by t posts. I used cattle panels attached to the top of the t posts so it is about 10 feet tall in the center. The guineas live there, and they like the high roosts. My hoop coop is not portable, but very stable in winds.

and plan to put flip down wheels on it to move it around the yard like a tractor.
That could be the deal breaker.

They can be very stable, depending on exposure, if they are securely attached to the ground as Blooie's and cappy's are.

But a portable hoop coop out in the middle of a field with no wind breaks, might not stay put. Built one for a buddy, and even with the flip down apron pinned to the ground, it moved about 50' during a 30-40mph event.

Back
Top Bottom