Hoop Henhouse

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Moodene, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Moodene

Moodene Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    The hoop henhouse was damaged by Hurricane Ike and I finally got it a Blue Roof job done on it..lol..I will have to wait until springtime to redo it all over..few of the PVC pipes broke in half but I put couple braces inside to hold it up...Peacocks are living on the backside of it until I totally rebuild my other hoophouse..
    [​IMG]

2. Moodene

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    Here is the other hoophouse that is gonna redone in next week..My son in law built it for me and didnt know what he was doing at the time..but ...hey..my chickens didn't mind...He even built the nest box apt style in the background..LOL...Then he built the bigger hoop henhouse above with the Blue Roof better until Hurricane Ike came along....lol...
    [​IMG]

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Those are really cool! I want to build one now. Do you have and building progress pictures?

4. Moodene

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    Not hard to do..lol..When I start from scratch..I can take pics as I go along..I am rebuilding this one myself..
    He took him 2 days to build the bigger one since he knew what to do by then..I only helped him when he needed the wire job.

5. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    I'd like to see pics of the build process as well!

6. FrontPorchIndiana

FrontPorchIndiana Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Indiana
    All of you folks who live in these nice warm areas with nice open coops are driving me BONKERS right about now. There's icicles hanging off my coop. My chickies and I want to live someplace warm [​IMG]

I'm fine doing without that hurricane business though! [​IMG] Good luck with the repairs.

7. Moodene

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    Haha:lol: sending nice warm thoughts to anybody in the cold parts of the country..

8. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Ohhhh, so these are what you were telling me about!! They look totally easy to build. I showed my husband the photos and told him I need to do this. You saw how much space I have in my backyard. This would work perfect for my Silkies!! [​IMG]

9. Their Other Mother

Their Other Mother Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2008
    Arizona
    Did you use plastic PVC? how do you bend it that much with out breaking it?

10. Moodene

Jan 15, 2007
    Devers, Texas
    Yes, Stacy..you can make them any length you want them to be and predator proof as well...
    I didn't have a problem bending these long 10 foot pipes when they are joined together at the top..I used the 1/2 size pipes which were more bendable..anything bigger may not bend that easy..
    The first hoop henhouse was nearly 5 years old before Ike messed it up..The bigger one is now 4 years old..I have an another one which houses my plants going on 8 years which I built by myself..Ike broke few in it but was easy to replace the pipes..
    Here is a pic of my plant hothouse that is warmed by Xmas lights!
    It is 18 feet long and 12 feet wide..
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by