Hoop House? Dual Purpose?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by r4eboxer, Jan 11, 2012.

1. r4eboxer

r4eboxer Crooked Creek Poultry

Sep 20, 2011
    Fairmont
    I will be raising Cornish X in 2012, I do a lot of gardening and live in zone 6. I am considering a hoop house as my dual purpose grow out pen and my seed starter to get a jump on gardening.

I figure I could start my CX in September and by 1st of Feburary have the hoop house free for starting my seeds. Anyone use a hoop house this way. I figure I will have a month in between processing the birds to starting seed so I can clean the walls. I'm sure there will be a lot of cleaning needed but I use chicken manure compost in my gardens so there should not really be much of a risk with it.

After I set seed I can plant in May so I could start my second batch of CX then. I'm planning on a 10 x 7 x 20 hooop house. I"m thinking 25 chickens at a time. Thoughts?

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    Sounds like a good plan to me. All that chicken manure will be right where you can put it to use.

3. kfacres

kfacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2011
    I actually have my youngest breeder birds seperated off into breeding pens in the greenhouse for the winter. Hoping, the little warmer atmosphere will keep them laying all winter long. I think I'm in z 5, without looking it up.

PS> the just started laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by