Hoop houses...

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Brunty_Farms, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    Anyone use hoop houses for broilers? I would like to use one in the winter and just till in the manure/bedding to use it in the spring as fertilizer.... plus I could get an early start on plants in the spring and also raise plants longer in the fall.

I have free gas on the farm too... so heating may even be an option.

[​IMG]

This is the concept... but only winter time.... as I use tractors when the weather gets warm. It just sucks to have to stop production in the winter.

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    I use one, but mine isn't that pretty. It's 1/2 PVC over re-bar thats pounded in the ground and wraped with wire and tarps [​IMG]

3. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    I use a mobile hoop house for our broilers. I don't do it during the winter (too wet here in Oregon for me). But it would be easy to add heat (I did that for the first few days back in the spring.

Here are my pics.

I also used it for our turkeys so I added a roost on it for the turkeys and didn't add one in the broiler pen (I didn't add the tarp yet).

[​IMG]

Here is one with the tarp on.

[​IMG]

Bil

4. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    My husband and son are building a hoop house for his 4H broilers. They always come in January for the February fair, so winter housing is a must. But we're in Texas, so winter isn't like it is for y'all up there. It's in the 20's this week with a wintery mix, but that is as severe as it gets. We're going to tarp it, but they shouldn't need supplemental heat. Our plan is to use it for turkeys in the spring after we've processed the broilers. The one they are building looks like the one in Bil's picture.

5. feedstorechick

feedstorechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Quote:Your broilers are going to need heat and protection from drafts until they are feathered out, which will be at least 4 weeks or so. We raised broilers for the stock show last year and it was crazy weather, freezing one week, warm the next.

6. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

In this area farmer use larger versions for livestock all year round. Go for it!

But more importantly Jeff, I want to know how you get free gas????

7. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Bil...I am stealing your design...it will work great for my broilers and my Turkeys! Glad to see it put together...I have most of these supplies literally laying around!

8. Bil

Bil Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Cottage Grove, OR
    Well, steal away because I stole the idea from someone else.

We are now using one for our alpacas as just an extra place to get out of the rain. We covered the back with a sheet of plywood and now there are not many drafts.

9. The Chicken People

The Chicken People Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Smithville, Mo
    Thats what I was thinking cover the back and also have dh frame in a door on the front side so I can walk in and out!
    My only real concern is predators if I use these for my meaties!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  10. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    Bil,

What is the size of your hoop house? Is it 8 x 8? Also, on the back do you just have wire mesh to protect? I am thinking about using the same type of thing for about 5 or 6 Turkeys and a few of them for my layers. Trying to figure out how many layers I can get to one them comfortably and then come winter wrap in plastic and store hay/straw inside.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by