Hoop run someplace windy?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ChixPix, Jun 27, 2010.

1. ChixPix

ChixPix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2010
    If you have a hoop run (PVC) is it very heavy? I'd like some sort of movable run extension so my chickens can get some fresh grass. I would move it maybe once a week and let the grass grow back, and then move it again. The problem is, it's windy and I'm scared if it'd blow away. We had a storm last night and I found the lid to my firepit in the driveway, along with 2 coolers. My metal trash can about 100 yards away, etc. I don't want to stake it down as it would be a PITA to unstake it every time I wanted to move it, however I want it light enough for a couple people to move alone. I'm thinking maybe 8'x8'.

2. 1_FnkyFrm

1_FnkyFrm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Knoxville, Tn
    Tie cinder blocks on the four corners. When you are ready to move it untie them and move it and then just retie them...

3. ChixPix

Apr 6, 2010
    Oh good idea. Hmm...
    Which gives me another idea. I could make corner brackets that are tied into the frame, and then just throw a sand bag on them. It'd keep me from having to tie/untie so much.

4. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Both are really good ideas. good luck with it.

5. emsdial911

emsdial911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Go to your local hardware store and but some ground cloth stakes or try tent stakes. The ground cloth stakes are U shaped, depending on how big you PVC is it should fit. If not use tent stakes and tie the run to the stakes. Good luck.

6. KenLamWV

KenLamWV Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2010
    Bridgeport, WV
    I tried also to put a tarp on top of my tractor which I ziptied to the chicken wire fencing. I didn't weigh it down and when I got a good wind, it blew it over. Luckily no birds were in it at the time. Just be careful if you do what I did that it doesn't become a sail and make it easier to blow over.

7. chicknerd

chicknerd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    NH
    I use my 2 PVC 4x8 runs for a run only. I move them around with the coop and they attach. Easy to move. We decided not to make a single 8x8 as it would be to heavy for me to move.

I love mine. They were fun to make and easy to use and move around. I love in a hill with constant wind, and haven't had a problem yet.

8. ChixPix

Apr 6, 2010
    No stakes, I don't want to unstake every time I want to move it. If I do it, I'm thinking a wooden base, and then pvc attached to that for the frame, so the base would be heavy-ish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by