Hoop-style portable run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by KirstenJL, Apr 16, 2011.

1. KirstenJL

KirstenJL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I would like to build a small hoop-type run light enough that I could move it myself around the lawn so my chickens can get some greens. I'm planning on a base of 2 x 4's, maybe 4' x 8' or 6' x 8' and I would like it to be tall enough that I could easily get inside it--maybe 4' or 5'. My question is what would I use for the hoops that's light and flexible enough to be bent without equipment?

2. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    PVC or tent poles work well.

3. latebloomer

latebloomer Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    green mountain state
    Quote:would you use chicken wire over the hoops?

and if you aren't home during the day when the chickens are in the run are you worried about predators?

4. KirstenJL

KirstenJL Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    Central Ohio
    I'm planning to cover the run securely with hardware cloth (and have an apron of hardware cloth at the bottom) and put some sort of lean-to type shelter inside. It would need to be dog-proof for daytime use. Right now I'm envisioning this as sort of a chicken spa/tractor that I'd put a couple of hens in for the day when the weather's nice (and then returning them to the main coop at night), but I can also see turning it into more permanent isolation or broody coop if I should need one. In that case, I'd consider investing in some more electric poultry netting--it's been working fabulously for my current set-up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by